Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 January 2013
I saw the exact same anthology but with a different cover for around £40, and the only difference i can tell is that this may be a US edition.
Either way, I'd never read Lovecraft before, but had a slight knowledge of the mythos and I thought I'd give it a go, I was not disappointed!
The Graphic Novel is fairly long, and has about 7 or 8 different short stories in it. They're illustrated by different artists, and the artwork is fantastic overall!
I was a little apprehensive because I thought it might be a difficult read due to the dated language Lovecraft uses, but because if the nature of the artwork and storytelling, even if you don't understand a word of a phrase it's still simple to follow what's happening.
Very good purchase, I will be getting the second anthology
on 22 August 2017
My first introduction to Lovecraft's work, and more than enough to get me hooked on the Cthulhu mythology.

More weird than spooky, the individual tales are set against an intriguing story arc backdrop that keeps you wanting to move onto the next one to find the next piece if the puzzle.

I always line to pick out unusual graphic novels, and this series fits the bill perfectly.
on 21 March 2011
After the splendid recent adaptation of 'At The Mountains Of Madness' by Eye Classics comes this exceptional compendium of some of Lovecraft's most celebrated short stories. As is necessary with comics the text is economical but, essentially, doesn't lose the essence of HPL's voice. The graphics themselves are extraordinary with vastly varying styles, none of which put a step wrong. Taken together these leave the tales positively dripping with the all-pervading paranoia, hopelessness and fear reknowned in the original stories. The art is enormously imaginative and adds hideous flesh to the bones of Lovecraft's often 'indescribable' entities from Dunwich Horror's Wilbur to Dagon's wasteland to Cthulhu itself.
I can't recommend this collection highly enough and would even point to it as an entry level primer to anyone curious about the dark allure of Lovecraft. Can't wait for volume 2...
on 13 January 2012
I was in two minds, but I had enjoyed "At the Mountains of Madness" so much that I decided to get it.

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole book and will be waiting for Volume 2 which I believe is March 2012 some time.

Excellent artwork throughout and true to the original stories.
on 21 June 2013
Like Vol 2, I bought the Kindle version of this in an Amazon sale. Each story is drawn by a different artist and the differing styles really help with the way the take unfolds. I like that the artwork is often kept quite simple as it adds to the imagined horror the narrators of the stories are dealing with, Its almost like only catching glimpses of the monster in a horror movie, which works well only often we're disappointed by the eventual 'reveal' - not so here.. The artwork always works to the stories best advantage. The stories themselves are short but unfold at a natural and eventful pace. If you can pick it up at a reasonable price, Its well worth getting.
VINE VOICEon 18 April 2011
I had read a review of this book in a magazine, and as a fan of HP Lovecraft, i took that excellent review and ordered my copy from Amazon.
My initial impression wasn't great. I quickly opened the book and thought the artwork wasn't as good as i thought it could have been. However, when i sat down and actually read it, i could see where the artists were coming from in their interpretation and their style. And then, there is the writing; the short stories of HP Lovecraft are very short in this book. This sounds like i am criticising both artwork and writing/editting, but in fact nothing could be further from the truth. When these two elements combine in the book, you get a really gripping, clever, artistic realisation of Lovecraft's work. And i absolutely loved the collection. I read it in one sitting!!
Praise indeed! However, there is one flaw in my opinion. And that is the fact that this volume misses Lovecrafts best known work out all together - At the Mountains of Madness is nowhere to be seen! This is his most famous work, and it is missing! Hopefully, there will be a volume 2, and it will be included in that volume.
Other than this, i would have given this book 5 stars without a second thought.
The stories this volume contains are; Call of Cthulu, Haunter of the Dark, Dunwich Horror, Colour out of Space, Shadow over Innsmouth, Rats in the Walls and Dagon.
I would recommend this book to anyone who has read Lovecrafts other books, and would suggest that newcomers to his work should read those first before reading this book. Had i come to this graphic novel first, i may not have appreciated everything it was attempting.

For every Lovecraft fan, this is an essential purchase though - roll on volume 2!
55 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2016
I bought this for my thirteen year old child for school- they had to write a book review on any 19th-20th century genre and author that they wanted, so they chose to be obscure, as usual, and decided on H.P.Lovecraft.

This anthology iOS excellent, it includes some brilliant stories and is easily read and accessible for anyone. It kept them reading non-stop and they finished the book in about 3 hours, so I guess it must be pretty good!
on 10 June 2013
Very nicely put together collection. Little bit smaller in format than most graphic novel/tpb collections but feels just right. Stories adapted with respect for the source material but also a nice understanding of the differences between prose and comics and how ro make them work in the latter. Lastly, there's a nice variety of contributors, esp. in the art department - with some interesting styles for the different pieces in the anthology.
on 13 February 2013
Really like the artwork in this book, really brings the stories to life. I liked the variety of having different artists rather than one person doing the whole book.

I'd definitely recommend this for Lovecraft fans, but if you haven't read any of his stories already you may not get as much out of it.
on 10 March 2014
A great read for Lovecraft fans familiar with the stories. The cartoon grotesque of the artwork is particularly good. The Colour out of Space being a standout. 1 star less as I don't feel some of the dialogue in Shadow over Innsmouth worked well in graphic novel format for an otherwise excellent story.