on 27 January 2014
If you have been invited to speak, attend or help organise a Burns Supper you should read this book.

I have attended several Burns Suppers in the past but bought it this year as I was asked to help organise one. It really is indispensable.

As well as explaining the practicalities - such as how to make a haggis - or, perhaps more accurately, why you should not make a haggis but buy one - or which side your sporran should be worn on - it also teaches you a lot about Robert Burns and explains his key poems.

So worth buying if you just want to find out more about Burns the man as well.
VINE VOICEon 26 January 2009
Every year I get asked to write some Burns Night speeches, and until this year I passed because I wasn't at all familiar with the ritual. This year I agreed to do one, and I invested in Clark McGinn's book to get me through it. His advice is practical, he's written it in a friendly and accessible style, and his public speaking advice is spot on. Next year I'll be able to organise my own supper!
on 28 September 2010
This modern look at this old tradition is as packed full of quirky facts as the haggis itself - enjoyable as a practical guide to arranging Burns night and as a good read about this Scottish tradition. Lots of fun, just like a good Burns Supper!
on 18 January 2015
Again as the Token Scot in the village. I am required to entertain at the village Inn at this time of year. A joyful occasion for me, my friendly Landlord,English Local, plies me with Haggis, Neeps, and tatties AND WHISKY FOR FREE,. Then thanks me for helping him out! I see why they lost an Empire.
My thanks to the Author for assisting me in entertaining the Locals and Tourists. I am not that good.
Cheers
Aby.
(Good Scots name, from Glasgow ) Living near The Boot and Shoe Inn. Greystoke.
on 1 June 2013
I used this to help me run my last Burns night. As it says on the back cover; 'Everything you need to enjoy or arrange a Burns Supper - just add food, drink and friends'. It lays out the evening, gives you your duties as a host, has graces and poems, translations and it even provides the Bill o' Fare and a whisky guide. Even if not for a traditional Burns Night, it has themes for Hogmanay and St Andrew's Night. My night was made so much easier and was enjoyed by all, even those who can't remember how they got home. Thank you Clark McGinn.
on 11 September 2016
A great deal of excellent advice for a beginner in organising a Burns Supper. Well worth having to contradict people who think they know it all, but don't!
on 12 March 2014
Definitive Burns Night Supper reference. Good advice and ideas to keep to tradition and yet tailor to the type of party size and guest composition.
on 11 October 2014
If yiu are interested in Rabbie Burns and if yoiu are likely to arrange a Burns Supper it is one you need
on 21 February 2015
Love this book. I am planning a Burn's Supper and this book has been a great guide.
on 14 January 2015
As already mailed, my copy "sports" many blanc pages, and cannot, as such, be read! I am surprised that a book like that can leave the printing shop in the first place as I dare say my copy cannot be the only faulty one. Amazonuk can, of course, not check each and every book before they ship it but - they should clearyl approach such suppliers!
review image