on 10 April 2018
The original classic and still the best. As a piece of writing it is beautifully crafted (it was the first time I came across the word 'ululation' - and possibly the last!). Written in a time when one could be more languid in one's description, it manages to maintain the suspense and the sense of growing realisation of danger, with ordinary flawed people responding as we would to something terrifyingly immense. Most of us know how it ends, but - just in case - I won't spoil it for you. Let's just say that whenever people talk about Science Fiction, they ask how it compares with War of the Worlds.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 August 2014
Having heard Jeff Wayne's musical adaption growing up and being a large sci-fi fan it's a surprise it has taken me this long to read this utter classic. Not only am I glad to have read it but i'm also incredibly impressed at how far ahead of it's time this novel was considering it was published in 1898, making it 116 years old at this time.

The book is written in the first person perspective focusing on a civilian's experiences during a martian invasion from their initial launch to their eventual defeat. The book is slow in places due to HG Wells's description of the martians and their equipment including advanced weaponry such as lasers had never been written about before so he goes into rather a lot of detail, which isn't a bad thing by any means as it still fits perfectly from the point of view of the protagonist and the era it's set in.

Despite the title of the book this isn't like modern titles that are full of heros and explosions though there are plenty in the latter. This is a story about a man's survival, fascination with the unknown as well as his mental state and inner thoughts regarding the events. It's really rather clever and even now everything about it stands out.

Anyone into science fiction should really read this, not just to see the history of the genre but because this victorian book is still a brilliant read.

+ Well ahead of it's time.
+ Detailed in it's description as an observer of events.
+ Incredibly clever ending.
VINE VOICEHALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 5 October 2011
Like most people I have lost count of how many times I have read this story over the years. This Vook edition contains both photos and illustrations, and if you are looking at this book on a colour screen device then you will see that these are in colour, as well as some black and white.

This has to be the most famous novel of alien invasion, with Martians coming to Earth in their tripod killing machines. Our narrator sees what is happening from his home, and then tells us all what he sees happening. At the time this book was considered more than just science fiction, but also a scathing indictment on Imperialism. Of course nowadays with laser guided missiles and what have you this can also be seen as an allegory of modern warfare, with death and destruction raining from the air by a faceless military. Because it can be read on more than one level this story never really ages and is just as enjoyable for a child reading it for the first time, to an adult reading it for the umpteenth time.

If you've never read this before then you have a real treat in store, and if you have read it before you will know how great this is.
review image
on 24 February 2017
I had never read this when I was younger, but decided to make the effort now. The premise is excellent, but this version (has it been updated?), tends to be a bit long-winded in the descriptive passages, and the archaic (for modern readers) use of language at times can be a bit of a task. I have to say, as good as it is, I still prefer Jeff Wayne's musical version, but it's worth a go to see where science fiction "started".
on 27 September 2016
Reviewing a book is all about opinion I know. Never got into this. I found it rambling, disjointed and a little boring. I was determined to read it as I'd paid good money for it. Sorry Niall, I hope other people like it
on 17 December 2012
Long before Jeff Wayne's musical Martian take over bid, there was this, the Classics version.
I first picked it up from a bookstall at Eccles station in 1959, I was 11 and had shied away from reading anything remotely resembling a 'classic'. I regularly read the Eagle and Dan Dare.
The cover hooked me first I think. Tripod monsters from space in bright colours invading earth, and almost setting up shop here until they caught the flu'.
I wouldn't say it launched me into a life of reading fiction, but it was an introduction into the wonderful world of books.
Within a year I'd bought the full length H G Wells book, then 'The Time Machine' .
I'm always reading, in the bath, whilst half watching dreadful day time 'tele', just anywhere, and maybe I owe it all to this brilliantly produced comic.
It's new re-emergence is much as I remember it, a little smaller, or am I a little larger?
Hey all you nostalgists, go and buy this and read behind the bike sheds, with a 'Woody' hidden in your fist.
Go on.
on 24 August 2017
Not a bad book but it does tend to go off the subject and ramble on a bit at times. Nevertheless worth a read if only to compare it with the unfortunate Tom Cruise film which replaced the period and location of the book.
on 1 September 2017
I have enjoyed reading this book for the last 30 years it is mg favourite science fiction novel and I will never tire of reading it again and again. What an imagination H G Wells must ha e had!
on 3 December 2017
Having never read any H.G.Wells the offer of a freebe was to good to resist. Glad I did language dated but a terrific story
on 27 April 2017
A great story which rates as a tremendous read. Very exciting. Was a little disappointed in the book cover which was only just adequate but at the end of the day it's what'inside that matters