on 1 November 2010
If its historical fiction that you are looking for then dont bother buying this book. It is based very loosely on fact. I feel as if the author dosent give enough details about any of the events that happen during the book which makes for quite a boring read. If, like me you love the works of Jean Plaidy and Philippa Gregory then this book is not for you. It is totally lacking in historical accuracy and even though the author admits this in her note at the back of the book, it is still really annoying me. Im still reading it and cant wait to finish.
I find the story of Mary Queen of Scots usually very intersting and has been written about quite a few times. I loved Jean Plaidy's books on her and read them both in one week whilst in Spain. This is nothing in comparison to them and I definately wont be reading it again!
on 23 December 2013
While reading this juvenile monstrosity I kept wondering if this book was written by an adult, as it was so incredibly awful and shockingly historically inaccurate (from someone who is a historian), I wondered if it was written by a teenager who was basing the characters on her high school friends.

The whole book comes off like a terrible afternoon soap; for example Mary's mother (who never lived in reality to see her grandson, and despite being a member of the powerful de Guise family) takes up farming in Scotland and lives in a little cottage with Mary's daughter by Bothwell (whom Mary visits periodically) and makes no attempt to rescue her daughter from her fate. Had she done so I wouldn't have put it past the author to have her crash the execution by driving a horse and trap while wielding a sword, as Bothwell lashed furiously on the reigns while the ghost of Darnley caused the walls to crumble necessitating a glorious escape. Yes. Its that stupid, especially the ending with Elizabeth having her guards kick Mary's lover as she burns some politically incriminating letters in front of her in Darnley's tomb.
No. I'm not kidding.