on 18 February 2014
I admired David Niven as being a great screen presence and when he wrote `The Moon's a Balloon' I thought it was terrific. He was one of those people - and there's not many of them - who successfully made the transition from raconteur to author.

Graham Lord wrote a very good account of Niven's life, as well, as did Sheridan Morley but Michael Munn, in my opinion, has not.

Quite frankly, it is unbelievable, with the most salacious comments reserved for people who are now dead. Having read this book, I was astonished that the author had not entitled it `Me and my mate, Dave'. Much of the alleged conversations were between author and subject; there's a perpetual `I said', `He said', the vast majority of which simply does not ring true and the theological passages were so nauseating, they made me want to throw up.

I started by saying that Niven was a great screen presence and it's true - he was also a very interesting man, with a man's failings. Let's remember him from those other books - not this one.
on 21 January 2015
Excellent very funny and I have recommended it to several friends
on 3 April 2016
This book comes across as total fabrication! I don't recognise the Great David Niven in this, even though it was supposed to have been written just before he died. I find it hard not to believe that this book has been embellished to sell copies (after all those mentioned in the book are all dead and cannot challenge the author). If you want the real story told in a way only David himself could have told it read "The Moon's A Balloon" and "Bring On The Empty Horses".
This comes across as a book aimed more at the authors bank manager rather that those out there who loved the man and his work and the true star the was DAVID NIVEN....(R.I.P.)
on 7 April 2012
I often had to stop reading this book and check the front cover to see who it was meant to be about! It comes over as the author simply saying ad nauseum `Look at all the famous people I have known!'

It is written in a peculiar lumpy style which makes reading it very hard if not impossible. Some of it reads just like a very bad script.

"Stewart Granger said............... and then Gregory Peck said............ and then James Stewart said.................."

A total ego trip for the author who really enjoys dropping names like confetti at a cheap wedding.

The most disgraceful part was the very last line in the book is all about him and not David Niven!

Personally I think this is a very poor offering and one that really did not have to be published.
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 July 2009
I enjoyed the book for the stories of old Hollywood and the author's insight into the very complicated psyche of David Niven. I didn't find the style of writing terribly appealing and that is why it lost a star. It didn't really keep me gripped. It is well worth a read.
on 27 August 2013
The book is in perfect condition (as promised) and I am very satisfied with my purchase, so it deserves five stars.
on 10 July 2009
Got it for my husband as a birthday present and he read it in 2 days, he couldn't put it down.
on 6 July 2009
I bought this with an expectation that I wouldn't learn anything new - I have read most of what has been published about David Niven as well as his autobiographies.
I was wrong. I learnt a lot from it about David Niven and it was a very enjoyable read.
I would urge you to read about David Niven even if you are not immediately drawn to biographies of film actors. His life was about so much more than film acting. His approach to life was in many ways inspiring and uplifting.
on 1 August 2009
Entire passages lifted from Graham Lord's 'Niv'. A lucid deathbed confession? This is an appalling book. Michael Munn, with his unprecedented 'access' to so many stars, despite having been nothing more than an extra on a few movies, should be ashamed of himself.

I don't believe that he recorded interviews with David Niven. Personally I think this book is a compilation of plagiarised text, half-truths and outright lies and makes a mockery of the life of a flawed, but ultimately decent and kind-hearted gentleman.
11 Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 March 2010
I first read 'The Moon's a Balloon' in paperback 20 odd years ago. It was a fixture on my bedside table for months, if not years. Similarly, I enjoyed 'Bring On The Empty Horses' and, more recently the much mentioned (in these reviews) 'Niv'.

Niven was, quite obviously an interesting person - albeit a self-confessed 'cad and bounder!'. He freely admits to lying countless times throughout his career, so why quite so much has been made of the supposed 'untruths' in this book confounds me. It is just another take on the life of David Niven. Yes, it does borrow from 'Niv' and recounts other often quoted anecdotes. However to anyone who (like me) is and has been for ages, fascinated by this individual, it just provides more insight into the man.

I actually met a former acquaintance of his some years back who told me that Niven never ever paid his way and was always cadging money! This may or may not have been true, but, as always to a fan of the man, it is, again, interesting..

If anything, the best bit for me is the unveiling of 'Uncle Tommy' as his real father. This alone makes much of the stuff in previous books easier to understand. I wasn't aware the family didn't approve of it however, but, to used a well worn phrase; 'They would say that, wouldn't they?'.