on 4 February 2010
Yes this book is a great read. It gives a really good version of The Beatles story before it gets to Wings and the solo career.
I am well read in The Beatles story and there were a few new pieces of information in this which made it worthwhile but it is really just a pleasure to read overall. Well worthwhile.
I don't see any indication that Macca had anything at all to do with the writing of it and I am certain that there are some things discussed within it's pages that he would have preferred to leave alone. I love the man but I have never been under the illusion that he is a saint.
Highly recommended.
on 3 May 2010
I loved reading this book. Have followed the Beatles since my childhood (early 60s), and always having a slightly softer spot for Paul (yes, I know I'm hardly alone in that one), when I read a review of this recently new publication, I decided I was ready to know more. I confess, I have struggled getting through a biography on John Lennon by comparison, but this one was very readable, and I hope, accurate, with what I felt were some impressive insights to areas that would generally not be 'out there' for the world to see. It portrays him as a 'real' person, with faults and uncertainties, amazing and also flawed character traits that have led him through life for better or for worse. While it is 'fresh' and doesn't get bogged down in unnecessary detail or conjecture (that I know of) and I do read biographies and autobiographies with a hint of reserve, and allowance for 'poetic licence', still it drew me in big time, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to understand what Paul is all about, and how his relationship with John and the other individual band members 'worked', as they variously complemented each other in their creative collaboration as well as the less workable relationship stages.
on 5 February 2016
Great reader of audio book. He can speak Liverpudlian, RP, Scot, American, New Yorker etc etc fluently! Added hugely to the pleasure of the book. Content is fine. I suspect if a reasonable journo spent time on media clippings, vids etc of Macca they could write this book. Not stunningly insightful but a pleasant 'read' for a Mc cartney fan and not a hagiogrpahy.
on 8 November 2009
You might think: what has anybody got to say about the great Macca that hasn't already been said?
Well, this book has nothing particularly new, but what the author has done is provide an emotional / psychological account of Paul. This gives the book a fresh and revealing feel, especially when it discusses Paul's relationship with John. I found this a really nice read and felt a little closer to the great musician once I'd finished it. You really get the feeling that Paul is nothing but a big well as being a genius, of course!!
One very curious thing I noticed: on the inside cover (next to copyright) it says that this book has been written by Paul McCartney and that Paul McCartney has asserted his moral rights as the author.....However, the book says (on the outside) that its author is Peter Ames Carlin? Why is this? Who really wrote this book????
A good read anyway!
on 7 October 2010
Paul McCartney: A Life I have hundreds of books on the Beatles and quite a few solely dedicated to Sir Macca. Some I have read in an attempt to reconcile myself with parting with such large amounts of cash and have soon become bored and put them down. I ended up reading this one simultaneously with another recent publication which claimed to be unbiased, accurate etc etc. fab my *rse! I have to conclude that having simply compared the two (alongside my own knowledge of the Fabs and Macca) that A Life is one of the best reads of MaccaBeatleness (and believe me books on these two subjects are published thick and fast). The research and attention to detail on who's quoting this and that is spot on, together with little bits ive never heard about (e.g Macca arranged for a fridge to be delivered to a neighbour of the Asher family ('65ish) as a thank you for his covert part 'the escape plan'... through his house/over roofs!). These little anecdotes made this book special to a discerning and long time fan.
on 12 March 2011
An interesting read, but like a lot of biographies you wonder how much is the actual truth or just part truth with a bit of embroidery added in. Having said that I found it to be extremely well written and enjoyable. If you're a Paul McCartney/Beatles/Wings fan you should enjoy this book.
on 29 December 2015
Very interesting book, my daughter had it on loan from the library and it was such a good read that we bought a copy. Actually find myself quoting things from this book so it must be good.