on 18 July 2017
I knew the history behind the tennis career and how her rise to greatness was derailed by the unfortunate stabbing. The real story in this book though is how she overcame and conquered her demons which arose afterwards. Fantastic book and very inspirational.
on 5 December 2017
Brilliant story. I didn't know much about her until i read this. Nice to know it's not just us minions who struggle with eating.
on 5 September 2009
This is a good book. Honest, easy to read, endowed with good humour and a refreshing frankness. I can see why it is a hit with those with eating disorders: Seles really did have an over indulgence problem but her story reveals how being denied grieving the death of a loved one can have deep ramifications. She also captures the intensity, ruthlessness and incessant, unrelenting pace of the WTA tour that is the life of a pro tennis player. This excerbated her inability to grieve for the loss of her Father and really come to terms with her stabbing. Until she took time out from tennis, it is only then she grieves, acccepts the injustice of her stabbing and grabs life by the balls and loses weight naturally at her own pace under her own terms. What a life, extreme highs and lows but a great read! I was not a Seles fan when she was at her peak but I was fascinated by her relentless focus and intensity and ability to beat my idol - Graf. I also wondered why, like many, she remained so heavy despite playing loads of tennis.... this book explains just exactly what was going on behind the public persona - a heck of a lot to deal with in terms of real sadness. A difficult life to lead in the public eye but as Seles herself said in an interview, such scrutiny comes with the territory when you have been Tennis World Number One at 17......
on 7 August 2009
This book is advertised as being all about Monica Seles' struggle with food. I read it on holiday and while it is certainly enjoyable it is not particularly deep or insightful and her recovery from compulsive eating is explained only very superficially.
on 14 October 2014
Monica Seles' autobiography - Getting a Grip On my game, my body, my mind ...my self - is fantastic.
Seles walks us through her rise from a kid practising tennis in their car park, at a small town in Novi Sad, Yugoslavia to an internship at the Nick Bolletieri academy in Florida and becoming the world's number one player, who won eight majors and defeated Steffi Graf in three of her last four major meetings, until she was stabbed brutally by a deranged Graf fan at a tournament in Munich, Germany.
As with most things in life, when it rains, it pours. This stabbing kept her out of tennis for two years in her prime. This was followed soon by the cancer and passing away of her father who had been her friend, coach and mentor. Her stabber, Gunther Parche, was let off, by the German legal system, without spending a single night in prison.
These sad events drove her to taking refuge in eating lots of food. A significant part of the book is dedicated to her struggles to return to full fitness and fighting these eating binges while coping with the loss of her father.
She only added one major, to the eight, that she had won before the stabbing and hence did not reach the tennis heights she scaled in the past. The latter part of the book mentions how she comes back from the dumps to reconstruct herself as a human being.
She explains this in her book ".. I came to the conclusion: I had the control. There were things - a lot of things - that I did not have control over. Being stabbed, my dad's cancer, an unjust court ruling, losing my number one ranking, losing endorsements, losing two and a half years of my career. losing the peak of my playing days, my dad dying, the critical and hurtful comments that people made - these were all things that I could not control. They were out of my hands, but for years I'd wanted to believe I could control them. If I just tried hard enough, I thought I could bend them to my will. Unfortunately, that set me up for an avalanche of negativity, because the moment another bad thing happened, I'd be even more angry, frustrated, and upset because I had failed to control it. What I should have been doing is just letting it go. And the one thing that I had control over - the way I treated my body and myself - was the thing that got out of control more than everything else. ....
Once I let go of the things I couldn't control, an enormous amount of space opened up in my mind and the things I could control suddenly became clear "
The book ends when she has found peace and meaning to her life. She achieved what she could not, with several high profile trainers, with her inner will. She lost weight and went from a size fourteen to fit into a size four dress and an invitation to appear on Playboy magazine which she declined.
This book does not go much into tennis strategy. She discusses how she stuck to her double handed forehand but does not mention the tactics she used to defeat Steffi Graf. It could also do with mentioning the year for her matches.
This book is a riveting read from the first page to the last. I am surprised that no Hollywood producer has thought of making a movie about this remarkable woman. The director would do well to capture even a small part of the brilliance of this book.
on 25 July 2009
I ve just finished reading Monica Seles' autobiography and it was absolutely brilliant, what a fascinating interesting and truly inspirational lady. I learnt a lot about a life in tennis and the sacrifices that are made and this womans personal struggles to get her life back on track. I advise anyone who has an interest in peoples lives so to speak to read this truly inspiring book which managed to reduce me to tears in parts. I read it as I am a big tennis fan but you really dont need to be to enjoy this book. Absolutely fantastic.
on 19 September 2010
For anyone who follows women's tennis today this is a poignant story about the highs and lows of a sports career. Monica Seles, when she was on her way to become number one in the world,was stabbed in the back by a fan of Steffi Graff. This book is about the great discoveries she made after she was forced to quit the tennis world. What is amazing is the way Monica overcame this physical and mental trauma to enter the top ten once again. A great read for tennis fans.
on 22 September 2013
I remember Monica Seles as a feisty 16 year old taking women's tennis by storm. In this absorbing and well written account of her life, Monica takes us from her first encounter with a tennis racket aged five, through her amazing rise to fame and how she coped with the trauma of her stabbing and the loss of her father. She emerges as a thoughtful, strong and admirable character. I thoroughly recommend this book
on 11 August 2009
A very interesting eye-opener into the devotion and dedication it takes to be a top player and a very frank, touching insight into her personal life, her grief, her long recuperation from the stabbing and her eating disorder in response to it. A fascinating read for all fans or for just anyone who needs to take control of their lives. An excellant book for everyone.
on 27 July 2009
A good book but not as good as her first one....too much emphasis on her obsession/struggle with food. Guess I wanted more stories about her tennis and her personal life but overall a great read by a great champion