on 2 May 2010
A new home in the Welsh mountains is supposed to help Laura Matthews achieve the one thing she and her husband haven't been able to do. Putting city life behind her, Laura knows the land full of legends and myths will inspire her work as an artist and hopefully give her what she desires the most.

A baby is the reason that London has been left behind and Blaencwm is their new home. Laura and her husband Dan really hope that this is the solution to the problem that has left them childless. With Dan commuting back to London to work, Laura is left alone in the remote Welsh house with only a few neighbours taking an interest in her. One of the neighbours, Rhys, seems too good to be true. While Anwen, a wise old woman can only be found when her husband Glyn isn't around.

Laura gets caught up in the history and magic of the hills. Merlin lived there once, a long time ago. It was here that he fell in love with a maid called Megan before he went off to be by King Arthur's side. Laura and Megan have a connection but Laura can't see how and why. So the lonely and desperate woman finds herself jeopardising her marriage and career to find the answers she needs.

I met Paula Brackston over a year ago at a book signing in my home town of Cardiff, Wales. I only manage to travel home about once a year and only for a week. So to be in that bookstore at that time, must have been fate because when I read Book of Shadows I was blown away. Now Paula's second book Lamp Black, Wolf Grey has left me practically speechless. To think I would have missed out on this amazing writer if I hadn't have been there that day. Well it gives me goosebumps!

Lamp Black, Wolf Grey is a wonderful tale about a modern couple who want a child and haven't been able to conceive. The book follows Laura's story and how she settles into life in Wales and starts to find out more about the history the hills surrounding her new home contain. Throughout the book the story flashes back to a time long ago where Megan is following her destiny and meeting Merlin. Merlin the magician and seer who once lived in a house near Laura's.

As both stories unfold and develop it is hard not to keep reading. My intention to read a few chapters turned into a hundred pages and then the realisation that the book was going to be read in one go. I just couldn't stop. Magical and spooky this is a so simple but amazingly brilliant read. This book will certainly be one I won't forget and will definitely make it to my top ten reads this year.

If you haven't tried this author yet then I suggest you do because it is a thrilling and exciting read which I can only describe as something similar to The Time Travellers Wife but written by someone like Kelley Armstrong. While you are adding this one to your wishlist may I also highly recommend adding Paula's debut 'Book of Shadows'. Both books are very special and unforgettable.
on 14 February 2015
Yay! Thankyou book depository for my book. It came quickly with a cool bookmark. So far I love it , haven't finished it yet but I'm sure it's just as good as Paula Brackston' s other books. I'm enjoying it so far. I will use the book depository again.
on 24 February 2011
The saying "never judge a book by its cover" is very true in the case of Lamp Black, Wolf Grey. I was expecting a story of magic and myth entwined with a modern, romantic time-slip. I must have read a different book to the other reviewers, becasue what I got was very dissatisfying.

The main character of the story is Laura, an artist who moves to Wales with her husband, hoping to conceive a child, which, as the story unravels, she attempts to do by sleeping with other men! She's torn up by guilt after the first affair, supposedly, but then falls in love with someone else and decides he is her true soul mate! Laura is an insipid character who does nothing to redeem herself after her behaviour but, in fact, feels justified in betraying her husband.

And where does Merlin the Magician come into all of this? Well, if you're a fan of Arthurian legends, like I am, then I don't think you really want to know. The story really failed to make the most of the legend and bring it into a modern love story that you could believe in and enjoy. Instead, I found it trite and dull.

This is one of those books where the reader can see what is coming from a mile away but the characters are either too dim or too self-absorbed to see it. I also found the copy of the book I read was riddled with errors, whether from the printing or writing, I can't say. Towards the end of the story, one of the characters has been walled up in a dungeon and is woken by the sound of a "scratching nose"! That hammered the final nail in to the coffin for me and I lost all respect for the story after that.

I do hate to give books a bad review, but this one disappointed me so much.
on 22 July 2013
twist and turns that keep you reading on at the edge of your seat - excellent read for a Brackston fan
on 21 September 2015
Lamp Black, Wolf Grey is a blend of gothic, romance, time-travel, and mystery. Laura is a character of current day whose life becomes intertwined with that of a 13th century young woman named Megan. Merlin of King Arthur's era also is a prominent character in this novel. Set in an ancient croft in the mountains of Wales, the atmospheric, almost haunting tone with plenty of secrets, permeates each page. The author writes in a compelling way striking a good balance between description and pace. She skilfully evokes the mystical history of Wales as a backdrop for a tale filled with passion that does not shy away from a bit of violence and gore. For readers who like elements of fantasy weaved into their historical fiction, this one should definitely satisfy.

Thank you to the author and publisher. I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
on 11 November 2015
A tale of two different times - Megan and Merlin, Laura and Dan. The modern duo buy a delightful cottage in the Welsh hills and immediately Laura feels at home. A place where she can paint and try to get over the fact she can't have a baby. Loved some things about this, the myths, legends, descriptions of the glorious Welsh scenery and the style of writing. Sadly the characters weren't very engaging and I finished the book without really knowing anything much about any of them. It was a nice, pleasant read - enough to make me want to read other books by this author. Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the ARC.
on 10 August 2015
Paula Brackston has combined the beauty of Wales, an old legend, and magical story-telling skills to give us a wonderful new story. Her characters, both past and present, are sensuous and complicated, and the plot has so many wonderful, suspenseful and scary twists. The hint of "ghostly" presence added that frisson of excitement that I enjoy in a book like this. A magical, mystical tale that I will definitely enjoy reading again and I look forward to her future writing.
on 15 April 2010
I RARELY READ MODERN WRITING BECAUSE I ALWAYS FEEL THAT ONCE READ THEY ARE FORGETTABLE; IT IS QUITE THE OPPOSITE WITH THIS BOOK. THE BEGINNING HAD ME CLEVERLY HOOKED.I WAS INTERUPTED FOR A FEW DAYS WHILST READING BUT THE STORY WAS FIRMLY IN MY MIND AND CALLING ME BACK. THE HISTORICAL STORYLINE TAUGHT ME A LOT, WHICH WAS DUE TO THE INDEPTH RESEARCH OF THE AUTHOR, BUT THE PRESENT DAY STORYLINE KEPT ME ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT, WHAT A COMBINATION. THE PLOT NEVER FAULTERED, IF ANYTHING IT GATHERED PACE. THE CHARACTERS WERE TRULY BELIEVABLE AND YOU FEEL THAT BRECON WOULD BE A NICE PLACE TO VISIT; MAYBE EVEN MEET MERLIN FOR YOURSELF.
on 2 June 2015
Having read "The Witch's Daughter" and "The Winter Witch", both of which I thoroughly enjoyed, I was looking forward to "Lamp Black, Wolf Grey". Sadly, I was disappointed. The main character, Laura, is not the heroine she should be - in fact, she's a rather selfish woman and the plot is, well...odd, to say the least! I could write a more lengthy review, but to be honest, this book just isn't worth it. Some stories are so good, you're quite sad to actually come to the end. I'm afraid I can't say the same about this one.
on 23 July 2015
anther superb book by Paula barckston, it arrived quickly. great service all round, thank you