TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 August 2011
I bought this at the Museum of London gift shop to stop my 6 yr old son pestering me for tat! I was surprised to find it kept him engrossed for the hour's journey home and he's read it a couple of times again since.

Essentially it's a bit like Horrible Histories for younger children, with less focus on the gruesome stuff but still lots of fun facts and funny pictures. It's written as though the reader is Samuel Pepys and explains what you'd be experiencing during the Fire of London, with lots of interesting details about life in 1666 London. It's well-designed with detailed and entertaining colour illustrations and the text is in manageable chunks with lots of boxes, thought bubbles, etc.

The "Avoid" theme is quite clever as it helps to engage the reader, getting them to think more critically about what kind of things were done to fight or prevent fire.

I'm about to buy some of the others in the series at my son's request. Although he likes to read fiction he'd much rather be playing on his DS, so I am impressed to find a non-fiction series he enjoys reading. My son is quite a confident reader for age 6 but he had to ask me about some of the words so I'd say it is suitable for approx 6-8 yr olds.

If the publisher reads this, please try to get the "look inside" feature onto some of the books in this series as it's very hard, as a parent, to judge whether a book will be appealing for your child, or is the right reading age without being able to see a page of it.
11 Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2012
This was a good purchase! My son aged 7 was doing The Great Fire of London at school and this book was bought to help.
It was easy to understand with enough illustrations to break it up and make it interesting. My son could read most of it himself with a bit of help and enjoyed finding out what went on. He took the book into school too. Will look out for the others in the series.
on 11 March 2012
Brilliant book! Perfect for my 7 year old grand daughter doing this at school. Contains lots of facts really interesting for children
on 7 August 2013
I bought this book for my Grandson. The Great Fire of London had been on the curiculum in his year at school, and he had enjoyed it.

He was delighted with the book, and recognised lots of the topics and items that had been discussed at school.

I have read some of the other "Avoid Being" and "You Wouldn't Want To Be" books with some of our other six Grandchildren and find them very informative and entertaining.

The book is well illustrated and the text is simple.
on 9 February 2013
My child is in yr2 & has been learning about The Great Fire of London.
I bought this book as a study aid. It was a great book-full if interesting facts etc.. written in a way that a child could read & understand-yet still have fun.
Will definitely be purchasing more "The Danger Zone" books.
on 15 November 2013
My 7 year old son found this book excellent. He enjoyed everything about it and took it into school for his school project.
on 30 May 2015
A very informative book for younger children that keeps them information about an important historical event whilst also being entertaining. Very much following the horrible history theme.
on 27 January 2014
My daughter requested this book because she is learning about the Great Fire of London, it is bright and colourful, she loves it.
on 11 April 2015
A fun way for our 5 year old to learn about this part of history. He was able to read a lot of it himself.
on 5 January 2014
Having read the reviews, I decided to buy this as a reference book for a Year 2 boy. He loves it.