on 24 October 2016
great little book, simple to follow, suits me
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 April 2017
Love the recipes in this book.
on 29 April 2017
good item
on 29 March 2013
My sister bought me this cookbook as she thought it was so good. I love it! So many delicious and easy to cook recipes. Whenever I read it I find something else I want to cook. Some excellent ideas for economical cooking, along with guidelines on freezing.
There are family friendly recipes along with recipes for more special occasions. So far the kids and adults have loved Highland Lamb Stew and Autumn Pork. My friends and husband have loved; Cavoli Nero and Cannellini Beans, Greek chicken and pasta stew, Butternut squash and lentils with raita, Smoke fish chowder and Pork with caramelised apples. Two friends have already bought this book since tasting some of these recipes!
I'm buying Soup! next.
on 3 April 2011
This is a great selection of stews from all over the world offering a great variety to cater for all tastes although only about 15% are vegetarian, which might make the appeal more limited for those of us who are not omnivores.
The recipes -all savoury- are classified into chapters called: Traditional and hearty, Meals in a bowl, Stews to impress, Fragrant and Aromatic and finally Fresh and Vibrant, the index at the end lists them from key ingredients, which makes it fairly easy to navigate through although an additional listing of the recipes to be found in each chapter would have been a welcome addition.
The photos are very appetising, the recipes are clearly explained, easy to follow and produce great results (even though the Beef Carbonnade lacks the "secret" ingredient which makes all the difference ;-).
I have been really impressed by Genevieve Taylor's take on both British and international dishes and the sheer variety she offers in this book, here is a taster of recipes we have tried and enjoyed: Sri Lankan fish curry with coconut sambal, Prawns and red peppers with almond and garlic sauce, Lamb with white beans and coriander, Persian chicken with walnuts and pomegranates, Pork belly braised with satsumas and medieval spices, Greek chicken and pasta stew to name but a few...
If you love stews this will be a great addition to your cookbook collection. Anthony Worrall Thompson's Slow Cooking is another one worth checking out, I bought both within a few days (^^) and I am glad to say they complement each other very nicely.
33 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2011
A really practical and trusty guide to all things stew-able.

Pragmatic approach to cooking comes through in delicious ideas and (for me anyway) results - with ideas for combinations of flavours that are genius - who said stews had seasonal limitation!

Buy it and enjoy it for happy eating.
on 7 January 2012
This is a great little cook book! I bought my copy from The Works, where it was half the price, but it is so good, i felt i had to tell the world. Stews can be considered as boring, but all the recipes in this book contain vibrant recipes that would liven up any meal time all the year through. I'm a univeristy stew-dent (gettit?) and i love cooking, even more so if it is easy to do and I can cook it while i'm out and use cheap food. I particularly like the section about what cuts of meat work best.I got into stews a few months ago and i love how anything can be thrown in to suit your own taste. But this book offers a great recipes, which of course can be adjusted to taste. There are also a couple of tagine recipes which I love. Tagines are a great way to cook, i don't know why more of us don't do it!

The book itself is very nice, most recipes are accompanied by lovely detailed photographs, so you roughly know what the meal should look like

great book! i now want to buy the Mince! cookbook by the same publisher
on 9 August 2011
Wonderful, quick easy meals are only a day's planning away since most need/taste far better with the suggested marinating. Sofar cooked the Pollo al ajillo (garlic chicken -on the cover) and Pork braised with ginger, garlic & sweet soy. Both were simple & sensational. Two of the best news meals I had in a very long time.
on 16 January 2015
Ms Taylor is an instinctive Cook rather like myself! Those who enjoy cooking will find her latest book 'Stews' excellent company when open on the kitchen table. It's proof that great minds think alike. And for those who haven't a clue, the simple ingredients and recipes will get you started and what better way to start that one pot creations. Delicious!
review image
on 16 March 2011
An excellent cook book with mouthwatering recipes and so easy to follow. I particularly enjoyed the zingy and zest caribbean beef stew with ginger and lime. It was delicious and different. There is a recipe in there to suit everyone from kids to adults with more exotic taste buds. Can't wait to try more meaty recipes out and also some great ideas adaptable for my vegan in-laws. A definite food 'bible' for my cook book collection.