Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 August 2009
I just bought this book on a whim. I'm a dunce in the kitchen but don't like being treated like one. This book runs the gamut from simple to inventive, offering some helpful tips (e.g. how long is too long to keep something in the fridge) with fun asides from the contributors. The tips from Signe Johansen were particularly amusing and useful. Buy this book for anyone you know!
on 17 September 2009
This excellent cookbook will appeal to anyone learning to prepare and cook foods on your own for the first time, especially students, of course, who the book is aimed at, but equally young professionals, singles living on their own for the first time, and anyone who wants to gain a bit of confidence in the kitchen to turn out foods that are appealing, delicious and trendy - and which won't break the bank. Fiona Beckett has a proven track record of writing excellent books with recipes that really work (the brilliant "Beyond Baked Beans" series). This volume takes the best from those books and adds a touch of spice and wit through contributions from her three student co-authors, James, Sig and Guy, who share their own recipes plus tips and comments throughout the book. All three are clearly passionate young food lovers as well as talented cooks and bring their own cooking perspectives, tastes and enthusiasms to the book. This appetising mix helps to make cooking really accessible. Nicely produced with excellent photography and design, this really is the 'ultimate student cookbook' - but not just for students.
on 13 September 2009
It is the perfect book for students: well written and illustrated. The choices of menu imaginary and compelling - to the point the book drives you into the kitchen to try them out. I commend this book to any who have children embarking on student life. They can't fail to thrive - at least gastronomically!
on 9 October 2009
This was purchased for our grand-son, who says " It's a good book, but some of the recipes e.g. "Slow Roast Lamb" & "Honey Roast Duck" are hardly appropriate for students" A little outside of a students budget!
on 23 March 2012
Busy people who have to cook for their families, or just themselves, will find this so useful. I find it useful - my daughters (busy mums) find it useful. It's imaginative, provides lots of hints and ideas to adapt recipes. Many of the recipes have entered my repertoire to stay. That wouldn't happen unless by popular request from those who eat what I cook.
There are sections for one (that valuable evening alone), to share (with the family) to impress ( to entertain without the pain )- it's a Godsend. The Thai fish curry, No Carve Roast Chicken, Becca's Chocolate Cake - I could go on. They are all winners. Staightforward. Delicious. Inexpensive. Just what you need.
I've been cooking for years and can still learn from this book. A daughter snaffled mine and I bought another copy, and I daresay that will go daughterwards as well and I'll buy yet another.
Anybody who had anything to do with creating and producing this book deserves an award.
The veggie companion - Beyond Baked Beans - is just as good.Beyond Baked Beans Green: Real Veggie Food for Students
on 3 January 2014
I brought this for my eldest daughter when she started university and its been passed down to her sisters and now back home...GREAT book full of easy, healthy and fun recipes which encourage your children (and me, when I had it back home) to explore everyday recipes and make them part of our family weekly menus. You dont have to be a student to use this book!
on 6 November 2010
I bought the book for my son who has gone off to uni this year. He has found it invaluable and has tried lots of the recipes. Excellent buy and would recommend to anyone going off to universtity
on 7 July 2013
Got this for christmas from a relative and then bought it for a friend before Uni. It's got some great recipes for all budgets, and is written by students, for students. Will keep you happy all year long for uni!
on 20 November 2010
Brilliant Cookbook for students, I bought this for my son who rarely cooked before and he finds it easy to follow with excellent results.
on 7 August 2013
I am a keen cook and think this book is great for anyone as well as Students. First Class actually. In fact my house is coming down with Cookery Books and have even picked up lot of tips in this Book. I know my daughter will be using this without a doubt and I feel content about her cooking for herself.