Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 May 2014
The only way you would truly appreciate the way of life described in this book is to visit the island and endure the rigors of life there.
It's the nearest that I have ever been to "heaven"
on 3 November 2014
The book is based on notes made by the author on his memories of having grown up on the island and having lived on the island for a time before going eventually to live elsewhere. Details of visits made to the island in later years are also included in his recollections. I have enjoyed the book - it is a lucid account of how these people lived and makes one think of how easy we have it now to what they endured as their normal day-to-day life. They were a hard-working people.
Their trust in and worship of God was central to their whole life. A very good buy.
on 13 February 2012
I don't read a lot of books, but I'm fascinated by St Kilda, I couldn't put this book down! I really enjoyed reading about the way of life on the Islands, I would recommend this book, and I'm currently looking for another St Kilda book to read.
on 14 September 2014
Excellent read, nice change to read about St Kilda from and insiders prospective rather than outside people. Also probably the real reason why the evacuation took place.
on 16 January 2015
Boring writing,more about the author and his religion than about St Kilda
on 24 August 2015
A good book on life as it was on St Kilda
on 10 March 2016
one of the best books on st kilda
on 2 June 2015