Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 October 2009
This is a wonderful book! I enjoyed every page from start to finish which I reached much too quickly and would have loved if were three times longer! Vicky writes with a wonderful perspective - she and her husband have moved to an idyllic location in Spain, not of course without its trials and tribulations which are most often hilarious - I laughed out loud many times during the book! She has a lovely eye for detail and characterisation born of respect, fascination and the ever present humour that makes this one thoroughly enjoyable read! I can't recommend it highly enough and I really hope Vicky considers writing ''Chickens and Mules... the story continues..." I'd snap it up as I am sure, so would all her fans who have had the pleasure of coming across this lovely story!
Maria (Isabel) McMahon
Abu Dhabi
on 18 October 2009
If ever you needed a really good lift to your spirits, then this is the book to read. It is packed full of fun and frolics that can't help but cheer all but the most miserable of creatures.
Such is the mastery of Victoria Twead's writing, that not only can you be enthralled, but you can `see' and `feel' everything. Laugh with them and empathise when things go awry.
You would be sadly missing a damn good read if you bypass this magnificent book. I heartily recommend it. Not to mention it being a ruddy great plus, having Spanish regional dishes included.
A great laugh and cookery book all tied up in one gorgeous little parcel.
on 17 October 2009
What a pleasure this book was! I didn't really know what to expect but it had me laughing all along. At the beginning when they forgot Great Aunt Elsa and then knocked over the village fountain... LOL! I felt I was right there with them all the time and I loved it when they got their first chickens. I could feel the Spanish sun and the characters were just hysterical. I think this is even better than Driving Over Lemons, much funnier with better characters.
on 30 November 2009
This is one of those books that can just transport you into another more gentle and naturally funny world where the irksome things of everyday life recede and the real humanity of existence resumes importance.The charecterisations are artfully drawn in such a way that one never doubts these people really exist however eccentric.Miss Twead is mining a rich seam of down to earth humour which never fails to captivate the reader.Thank goodnes there is still room for plain good fun and humour in this sometimes difficult world we live in.Full marks - look forward to the next installment!
on 15 October 2009
This is a delightfully funny book about a couple who move from England to Southern Spain. Excellent characeters in this book and made me giggle loads. I recommend this book to anyone but particularly if you are thinking of moving there yourself! A great entertaining easy read!
on 25 January 2010
I read lots of books about re-locating to Spain but this has to be the best of the lot. A very humourous tale of two Brits who move to a Spanish village and set up a new life there. Even if you have never hankered after the good life in Spain, it is a great "feel-good" novel and will bring a smile to your face.
on 21 December 2009
Just finished this book, I put it down as I was getting near the end and wouldn't touch it for a few days as I couldn't bare to finish it, I am missing it already, what a fabulous book, Victoria and Joe who moved to Spain to start a new life, their life in Spain sounds brilliant and they would be mad to move back to England. This is a fabulous read and it took me ages to find it as it is printed to order, what a shame it should be on every book shop shelf, I have told all my friends as we are all great readers and this one ticks all the right boxes, looking so forward to her next one. There is also lots of Spanish recipe's in it which I will be trying, don't know if I should keep this book in my kitchen or just with my other books.
on 3 November 2013
I am not known for being generous with stars in my reviews, but this had to get five stars, for what will always be remembered by me as the 'jellyfish sketch' I finished the book last night and actually woke up giggling about it. As an expat I have enjoyed many stories of people moving abroad and sharing their experiences, but they don't all make me howl with laughter as this one did. A lovely light-hearted tale, well written and told with my kind of humour. I loved it, and will now need to read all the other books by this author!
The diary of a single parent abroad
on 10 June 2015
Oh dear. It's not that funny, nor that well-written and I gave up after thirty pages or so. The book was donated to people we're not keen on who shortly after purchased chickens but didn't leave the country to write a not-amusing tale of growing old disgracefully and wearing purple in a strange land with all these funny foreigners... It's lightweight, but that's ok if you just want a nibble.
on 4 August 2011
I came across this book from Twitter. I read the reviews & decided to buy a copy for myself. I was not disappointed. It's beautifully written & I love the little recipes that keep popping up. The characters are so real that you think you know them & I'm not just talking about the people. Like the majority of readers, I too want to pack up & move to this beautiful little village. I didn't want this book to end & I hope that Victoria will write a follow up. I can't praise it enough.