Customer reviews

on 10 August 2014
Yawn. But to be fair I gave up a quarter-way through.
on 26 April 2016
this is such a tome and so worth it, i never regret any hour i spent on this.
on 8 May 2013
An ambitious epic which explores many interesting themes but is so tedious and long-winded I felt exhausted at times. The story is linear and dull and there are few surprises. The mysterious sub-plot seems promising but in the end goes nowhere at all. I kept on to the last waiting for the moment of inspiration that would redeem the whole book, but it just doesn't come. Sad because there is a better book somewhere inside these dreary six hundred pages.
on 11 December 2014
pomo excitement
on 30 January 2013
I bought this book having read excellent reviews from both the media and other purchasers. The book description seemed to offer something different from the usual type of novel I would normally read.

However in total contrast to these reviews, I struggled with it right from the first few pages.Is it a philosophy book? Is it a history book? Certainly as a novel it bored me rigid with it's slow pace and tedious deliberations between the fictious characters on various subject matters that were relevant 200 years ago.

If there are any interesting/exciting parts then I missed them as I gave up reading the book about a quarter of the way in. I think its appeal is probably very "niche" and possibly for readers more literate or philosophically minded than myself.

Sorry, but it didn't do it for me !
on 22 January 2013
I found this a tedious book which I did not finish which is very unusual for me. The narrative trudges wearily through a mysterious world of a cave dwelling barrel organ grinder and an aimless young man.
on 14 March 2013
Very heavy going and made worse by the almost non-existant punctuation. I found it difficult to read. A very poor quality translation and reproduction for Kindle.
on 4 May 2012
Neuman writes dialogs like no-one else, and his characters literally jump from the page. Really recommended for the Summer reads.