Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos

on 5 March 2007
Lovely book with some great ideas. If you love shabby chic then you will like this.

Don't buy it with "Romantic Home Sewing: Cottage-Style Projects to Stitch for the Home by Christina Strutt" however as they are in fact the same book. The only difference is the title and cover (one is paperback, the other hard back).
0Comment| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2010
I love vintage designs and I adore flicking through this book just looking at the fabrics and photos.

I have made the laundry bag (page 112) and would like to make readers aware that there is an error in this pattern. The fabric strip for the drawstring cord is stated as having to be 15 1/4 x 2inches; this is far too short. It needs to be 32 x 2 inches.

Other than that there are some really good projects which are suitable for the amateur sewer who wants to push themselves with practical projects and make gifts for friends and family.
on 24 January 2010
I really should have listened to some of the critical reviews before I bought this book! I have only myself to blame - I even "Looked Inside"!

It's a lovely book of its sort but there is nothing new in it for me. I find it nice to flick through in bed on a Sunday morning but can't see myself making much from it.

I've given it 3 stars - not because of my personal preferences but because it bears the dreaded words "These templates are printed at 50% of their correct size. To use scale them up to 200% on a photocopier" and "Draw up full size on paper"

In the case of the aprons how much easier just to give dimensions or even to print a - full size - template for the top shaping for the arms?

Having said that it's an attractive book, nicely laid out and with a number of projects suitable for beginners: ribbon tie cushions; no-sew curtains; simple bags etc and it's not exactly expensive.
on 9 January 2010
Recently I reprised a much loved hobby, sewing, which I haven't done for many years, and was happy to discover this book which contains lots of projects to get me started again. It has helped me to build my confidence and skills nearly back to where they were thirty years ago. The patterns are ideal for a newcomer (or returner) to sewing, as you will get attractive, satisfying results from not too much labour. More experienced sewers are sure to find some great inspiration for projects they haven't done before. Well illustrated, and I found the instructions clear and straightforward. I am very glad I bought this and would have been delighted to receive it as a present. (It would make a welcome gift if presented perhaps with a pretty sewing kit or some appropriate fabrics).
on 2 November 2007
For all of us with vintage inspired homes this is the sewing book for you! It is packed with beautiful projects to make with comprehensive instructions. Every page is filled with stunning items to enhance the period home. The various projects include a laundry bag, an apron, fabric covered headboard, bunting, rabbit doll and christmas stocking to name but a few. The photographs are stunning too. A real good buy.
on 14 November 2009
Just be careful if you are buying this book as the content is the same as Romantic Home Sewing by the same author
on 21 February 2011
The author, in the introduction, states that when writing the book, "the thought of all that sewing did not initially appeal". Why would someone who can't / doesn't like sewing, write a book about it? She even gives the answer - because her publisher said it'd be a good idea. A very poor book with very simple "sewing" projects in it - none of which seem to actually use anything remotely vintage. The highlight for me was the blind made from 3 tea towels. Really, couldn't you come up with anything better than that! This book went straight back.
on 13 September 2010
When the author says - quote "I was faced with a sewing machine but I hadn't a clue how to thread or opperate it." it doesn't give the reader much confidence that she knows what she is talking about!! The book has nice photos but the projects look as though they have been thown together and some of the instructions do not give quantities of fabric needed to make the items. I'm sorry I bought this book.
on 24 September 2010
Visually the book is pleasing but the substance is lacking. The projects would be easy to make without 'instructions' for the average sewer. A bit gimmicky.
VINE VOICEon 21 December 2009
Nothing "new" in this vintage book. I fear I've seen it all before and done most of it. Sorry, it's a lovely book but just not very useful for me personally. I have similar patterns already which is why I said nothing "new" and I really do feel like it's all been done before. It is a nice collection of items to make if you are just getting interested in "vintage" but a lot of it is so easy to do without a pattern than it doesn't seem worth spending the money to learn how to sew squares together. OK for beginners.