Customer reviews

Zompoc: How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse
Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 April 2011
I was really disappointed by this book. I love all the "survive the zombie apocalypse, end of the world" scenarios and have many books on the subject including those by Max Brooks. I thought it would be interesting to read a book from a British perspective for those of us without easy access to guns but this was very disappointing. Endlessly repetitive, littered with typos, grammatical errors and badly punctuated, ironic really as I googled SwordWorks, the publishers, and in their submissions section they state:

"We will reject your manuscript if it (a) does not comply with our criteria for acceptable material, or (b) if it contains too many errors, particularly spelling mistakes."

This is obviously a vanity project and I wish I had not wasted my money. I gave it one star as i could not give it the zero it really deserves.
on 23 November 2010
First of all, despite the claims of other reviewers, there are no "drawings" in this book - only bad photographs that have been run through a PhotoShop filter. Worse, they largely seem to be of the author's middle-age-crisis bound biker friends trying to look cool with someone's obviously beloved collection of airsoft guns (those of us who know real weapons can tell them a mile off). The net result of all of this is to make the book look cheap and ridiculous, an impression not helped by the fact that the text, aside from ripping off Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide shamelessly in content, is so poorly written and littered with typos that you wonder if the editor wasn't "undead challenged" themself.

All in all this is the worst kind of project on two levels - it's a cash in, but also a vanity project - the authors really do seem to think that they have the definitive voice on the subject (they are desperate to get their lame term "Zompoc" into common usage, something zombie fans are singularly failing to do as it sounds ludicrous). They even produced a sequel about weapons of the "Zompoc", while showing almost no knowledge on the subject - they just think guns and posing with guns is cool, hence the hilarious photography. Oh, and zombie models aside, the people in the photographs really ought to realise that they're all just a bit too old, porky and suffering from "fashion deficit disorder" to pass themselves off as action heroes. Pictures of how to attack zombies from bikes and trikes just show this for what it is. Dawn of the Dead got away with this because it was satire - "Zompoc" plays it serious and consequently looks very silly indeed.

About as bad as a book can get, aim for World War Z or The Walking Dead if you have to have a fix of intelligent, well written zombie literature.
on 3 March 2010
I've read alot of zombie books and enthused to my friends about most of them but i can't recommend this. I found the book really hard to get in to and was then bored by it. I appreciate where they were going with it but it just didn't work for me. Don't know whether im too much of a zombie geek or not enough of a zombie geek but i gave up with this book in the end.
on 8 January 2010
Er? Has no one else noticed this is a complete cynical rip-off of Max Brooks' already classic 'Zombie Survival Guide' that came out 5 years prier?