on 1 May 2017
Good recipes that I remember from holiday visits
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 December 2013
My copy of this book is a 2012 reprint of a book first published in 1991 and 2010. It does not have the feel of a typical recipe book as there are virtually no photographs and one recipe starts when the previous one ends, which means that the layout is a little inconsistent. The lack of photographs means that you have to work out yourself what the recipe should look like, but at the same time this means that there are a lot more recipes than you would normally get in a book of 368 pages. There are quite a few recipes that simply say "substitute X with Y", but still have their own heading, which seems a bit of a waste when you could just add a note to the original recipe.

The introduction, "The Greek Kitchen" section and glossary go into a lot of detail about traditional Greek flavours, ingredients and techniques, which many people would I'm sure find useful. Some of it is a bit unnecessary, just like the list of menus at the end of the book for a number of special occasions, such as Christmas. Generally I would say the same about the recipes; there are a lot of very simplistic ones that you could create yourself with just a little imagination. The chapter on breads I found the most interesting, as well as the one on pies, pastries, cakes and biscuits.

I would say that this is a good introduction to Greek food and cooking, but if you've already experienced when it comes to Greek cuisine, then you may be a little disappointed. It's not a bad book, but in my opinion it is missing a little something to make it worthy of a recommendation.
on 3 February 2011
I have several cookery books for Greek food, but this is by far the best. I've lived in Greece for 10 years now and my husband is Greek, so I was eager to learn how to cook authentic dishes. This has become my kitchen bible and when I first bought it 5 years ago, I used it practically every day - so much so, that I now know many of the recipes off by heart. I thoroughly recommend it.
on 5 December 2013
After living in the med for a while Back in uk now i wanted a authentic recipe book . This one fits the bill . I've a mate who lived in Greece for over ten years and even he's ordered a copy being a chef by trade I'm trying out all the recipes and as said before great book
on 22 April 2001
This is a very good book packed full of information and interesting recipes. In the first chapter 'The Greek Kitchen', ingredients and kitchen equipments are explained carefully, and it also tells you how to make basic ingredients such as wine vinegar, yogurt, fresh cheese and preserved lemons. Although I didn't manage to make vinegar successfully, it was fun trying to make things you normally buy. Barron writes with enthusiasm and love for the people and food of Greece, it almost transfers you to a small village where people still cook traditional food and many things are shared by everyone. Recipes are quite interesting, much are kind of food you only encounter by visiting obscure village tavernas or people's homes. The book contains more commom things like moussaka, tsasiki and cheese pies, but these are more complexly flavoured and her version of cheese pies are rather unusual salty-sweet, flavoured with orange-flower water. I think most recipes in this book produces fine results (black olives and lentil salata, aromatic giant beans were delicious) however some can be difficult to figure out since there are no pictures. For example, I found the recipe for lamb's innards sausage (kokoretsi) a little misleading. One can easily imagine this is shaped like normal sausage although it is in fact looks like a kind of worm as the casings are wrapped around the stuffing like string. Anyway this is just a minor flaw, and the book is wonderfully written, capturing the best flavours of Greece.
on 3 September 2001
I came across this very interesting cookery book recently. I gather that it won a 'Best Cookery book on Foreign Cuisine (in English) at the Worlds Cookbook Fair recently.I have prepared over 30 recipes from this excellent book and we have enjoyed each one. Having travelled in Greece and Cyprus(Greek part) I have always enjoyed the food that is to be found outside of the cities. This is the first recipe book I have found that not only provides recipes, but superb background information on the past history of the Country. It probably takes a writer who was born outside of the Country they are researching, to give such a credible overall view of its cuisine. I remember reading some brilliant reviews in the Press about the author's cooking school on Crete and Santorini in days gone by when Cooking schools were virtually unknown outside of the big cities. This new book has pride of place on my kitchen-book shelf.
on 17 August 2001
This is a beautifully written book on Greek cooking and Greece and one that clearly shows how to create freshly cooked Greek cuisine wherever you live. If you think Greek cooking consists of Moussaka and nothing else, you must read this. I've cooked four of the dishes so far and all have been perfect. This is one of those books you can read as a book about Greece, its customs and people as well as learning how to cook in a simple and easy way the most mouthwatering dishes. It makes one want to jump on the next plane to Greece. I highly recommend this book.
on 14 March 2013
I bought this book as I have visited lots of Greek islands and love the food. This charming book give authentic recipes and information about Greece and its culture. Very easy to follow recipes and quite delicious.
on 13 October 2010
Am pleased with this cookbook. I have struggled to find good cookbooks for Greek and Eastern Mediteranean food. I was slightly disappointed because it has few recipes that my other Greek recipe book doesn;t have already: but my other one IS very good, so I'll suggest that this is an excellent cookbook for someone wanting an introduction to Greek cookery. People with other books already may nto get so much from it.
on 16 December 2015
A very good Greek cookery book, of which I have purchased 5 copies this year for various people. Easy to follow recipes give you a real taste of Greece. A good selection of recipes and a nice foreword and introduction as well as a small introduction to each section. Very useful.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse