Customer reviews

on 15 November 2006
This is the first vegan cookery book I got and at the time I didn't realise quite how popular the books (this is the first of three) are. This book is really good and I've tried quite a few of the recipes (there really are a lot), but there are some flaws with it. I don't really like the fact that there are no pictures what-so-ever, so you really don't have any idea as to what the end result is meant to be like when making things (not really that practical when it comes to baking etc.). Another flaw is the fact that I found the book a bit muddled and it can be a bit intimidating when you're first starting out as a vegan and you're bombarded with a huge amount of facts and opinions. The book does contain an index of animal related products (really illuminating, I had no idea how much animal produce we consume without even knowing it.) and some really cool ideas and recipes for dog biscuits and face masks.

If you're already a vegan I'd say go ahead and buy away. If you're just starting out in the vegan world I'd recommend buying this book with a different one so you can use this one in small doses in the beginning instead of having to rely on it completely.
on 17 May 2017
I am happy with this book. Gave me so much ideas.
on 16 August 2006
I bought this book, and became vegan overnight. The recipes are ingenious, quirky and delicious - every one!

Although the book is written with american style recipes I found that the ingredients were easy to come by, and provided you have cup measures very easy to make - even for beginners.

My omnivore boyfriend loves them too... This is a cult cookery classic!

Thank you Sarah and Tanya!
on 25 August 2000
I have to agree that this book is fantastic. All the recipies I have tried so far have been delicious. Prehaps an even better recommendation is that my Mum who isn't even a veggie wants her own copy as she is so impressed with mine. I wouldn't be without this book and would recommend it to any one.
on 22 June 2000
This is a super book. I am a new vegan and need all the help I can get. I have 2 small complaints, though. One is that the titles of the recipes are in such an large, "interesting" font that I have had trouble reading some of them. The second, and bigger problem is that many recipes contain honey or other bee products. As Vegans subsist only on plant-based products, and a bee is not a plant, I find this difficult. Having said that, I understand that the next edition of the book is going to be without these (wish I had known that before I bought it).
All in all it is a great read and I am glad to have it!
VINE VOICEon 27 November 1999
This book is just brilliant! It has a really quirky look to it and is a real change from the often dull vegan cookbooks that seem to be standard fare.
There are both standard and unusual recipes here. The recipes for breads made without yeast are great and the choc chip cookies, choc chip bars and chocolate pudding are to die for - chocaholics will be well pleased! There's a chapter on vegan stuff to keep the kids amused plus one on animal-friendly recipes for health and home which is a really unusual touch. Lastly there is an excellent glossary of animal ingredients.
All in all I can't fault this book. Every recipe I have tried has worked perfectly and tasted delicious. I'd heartily recommend 'How It All Vegan' to anyone.
on 16 October 2008
This is a great book. It has lots of nice simple recipes, which as well as being easy to make taste amazing.

The style is easy going and friendly, like curling up in a comfy chair with a friend.

The Apple-cinnamon cornmeal pancakes alone were worth the price, even non-vegan friends gobbled them down.
on 19 March 2003
I recieved this book as a gift and it is one of the best gifts I have ever been given. Everyone must try the sticky chocolate pudding cake. Chocolate heaven!!!!
on 3 September 2007
More than just a cookbook with tasty, easy-to-follow recipes, it also has sections on kids lunchboxes, homemade cleaners and toiletries, nutrition advice, and non-vegan ingredients to avoid to name but a few, making it a great first cookbook for a new vegan.
on 15 November 2010
I was hoping for a new take on vegan foods. I don't like soya 'cheeze' and found it sprinkled throughout the book. Also I am not a fan of TVP. I don't like the American style of the book - what is 'dry sweetener'? Too many recipes for muffins - the western world is obese enough!! Practically no fresh fruit has been included - I found the recipes tired and old hat - not what I was expecting from a book written in 2008. It will probably end up in a charity shop