on 14 August 2017
Don't get this edition. Very poor editing with incomplete sentences, mid sentence dashes and typos!!! Waste of money.
review imagereview imagereview image
11 people found this helpful
on 26 January 2018
This book enthuses the reader with a burning desire to be successful, whether it is by materialistic or academic means. The book will give you an understanding of how a successful person is nurtured. Examples include the amazing inventor Thomas Edison; how he formed success despite all odds by being ignorant of the air of pessimism. By far my favourite lesson learnt from this book was the significance of indecision.
2 people found this helpful
on 16 June 2015
I read it (despite the off-putting title) because it was on a recommended reading list of someone I respect.

Written in the 1930's as the US was recovering from a devastating recession it contains an interesting mix of good sense, contemporary anecdotes and cod science. Perhaps not exactly "cod science", but an attempt to explain what the writer had observed by close examination of a number of "rich" and successful men over many years.

It works as a "how to" manual for focussing one's life on achieving goals (money) and over-riding some of the instinctive knee jerk reactions we seem to have inherited in our DNA from ancestors who lived in a different environment with different needs (caves, hunting, "Flintstones" etc.).

His method is based on controlling the "Subconscious Mind".

Napoleon Hill nods to the acceptance of higher and unexplained powers ("Infinite Intelligence") in an atheistic way - that seems comfortably "modern" - but he also writes as if business was the sole preserve of "men" - which may jar for some.

Some of his ideas were particularly enlightened (for the time) such as the need for cooperation between management and labour and that "The watchword of the future will be human happiness and contentment ..."

And educationalists who are in the Sir Ken Robinson camp they might agree with page 39 - "This "missing link" in all systems of education known to civilization today, may be found in the failure of educational institutions to teach their students how to organize and use knowledge after they acquire it". On page 171 he states that "fear destroys initiative and discourages the use of imagination" - now accepted (and tweeted ad nauseam) but when written it may have been something of a revelation.

It was worth a read for me - and being able to make notes on the Kindle increases the usefulness of this book when I return to it for reference.
4 people found this helpful
on 6 April 2017
Best book I've ever read, with lots of opportunity for practical application. An enjoyable read and can't wait to read again.
6 people found this helpful
on 12 April 2018
It's ok, if you have read any decent modern "self help" book, anything that focus on self confidence and focus,you will not gain much by reading this book. Lots of repetition and waffle, all of which is very distracting. Two sections towards the end are very useful,both focusing on negative aspects and are missing from these more modern books I talk about. The self analysis quiz and the alibis. Both sections are perfect for helping you move forward,make decisions and check changes in attitude and thinking.
on 10 May 2014
Do not leave this planet without having read this book. This book is a manual to successful living.

As a student of sport and exercise science a lot of the same science taught in my course can be found in this manual including: performance psychology, life-style coaching and management, and leadership skills.

On the flip side there is an esoteric thread running through the book. For me this adds something to the success. This may not be generally understood by the mainstream but with time and practice you can learn for yourself. EXPERINCE IS KNOWLEDGE!!

You can get the whole book online (www.sacred-texts.com) but I would recommend buying one for study purposes. Read it once nice a quickly and then spend a week studying each chapter then decide what you want then ACT.

I WISE YOU ALL THE BEST!!
on 10 February 2016
Excellent book!!! a fabulous treasure... written in 1937 by a very clever, intuitive and highly methodical man...totally ahead of his time. Many other books by famous authors (Tony Robbins, Richard Bandler, Dr. Wayne W. Dyer, Louise Hay etc) are without a doubt based on Napoleon Hill's teachings. I have it as a paper copy and also for kindle.
If you want to improve your life, not only financially but also personally, just get this book, read it and follow the simple yet effective exercises, you'll be amazed!.
on 13 June 2015
There are very sound financial principles in this book and I found the anecdotal evidence presented about famous businessmen and politicians added an interesting snapshot of American history; however, I struggled initially with the language, and found the text very repetitive.
The book could easily have been a lot shorter and more concise while retaining the quality of the argument and soundness of the advice.
Overall, it contains sound advice about persistence and basic financial planning that is useful for anyone considering starting out in business. Be prepared for an element of repetition, though.
on 4 October 2017
Very good advice and I have tried to develop a better outlook on things and become more positive. I do think about having lots of money but I have not achieved any as yet.
on 26 March 2015
I have mainly listened to this as an audiobook as I've stockpiled a large number of still unread books that are gathering dust on my shelves - I'm a working mum and finding the time to read a book all the way through is a bit of a challenge. I've had issues with money all my adult life and I'm determined to get past these blocks and improve my relationship with it, and I would honestly say this has to be the number one place to start. Most other resources will just wrap the steps laid out here in a slightly different package. These might very well be more easily digested as it's true the language in the book is rather old-fashioned, and there's a fair amount of reference to economic conditions in America at the time it was written, but as an audiobook I found this perfectly easy to get past. I actually really liked the narrator's voice, found it strangely soothing! And the fundamental action steps laid out here are still completely relevant today. There are also parallels to be drawn between the Depression of the 30s and the recessions in more recent history. The point here is, it's not external conditions that prevent you having money (lots of money), it's the internal ones. If you are interested in improving your financial situation, and willing to take responsibility for it, then read this. Several times! All the major wealth coaches out there (Bob Proctor et al) reference this as the bible of 'wealth consciousness'. I just had it playing in the background while sitting at my laptop, and have replayed it several times now. Can't recommend it highly enough.