on 14 June 2017
Some gorgeous stuff in here - daughter and granddaughter eyeing up some of the tops! But maybe not the stockings ...
on 1 April 2017
A great book full of useful patterns for everyday wear.
on 21 May 2017
this is book has some beautiful patterns which knit up well. There is only one that I have struggled with but that may be my limitation as a knitter!
VINE VOICEon 9 April 2013
As many reviewers have already stated, this is a thing of beauty and lovely to look at. The designs are very pretty and feminine and the models are styled in a vintage way to show off the outfits to perfection. It is a great coffee table book and a lovely 'read'. Others have also spotted numerous mistakes. I can't comment on that as I've only just got the book and haven't attempted anything. However, I would like to point out some other features/limitations which may affect your decision to purchase.
The designs are all for women. That might seem obvious but, if you expect your vintage knitting book to contain some Captain Hastings-style sweaters or wartime baby knits, this is not the book for you.
The designs mostly use very fine wool and small needles e.g. 4 ply and 3-3.75mm. I realise that patterns of the 30s and 40s tended to use such yarn but this book does include the 50s which saw more jackets and chunkier knits. I'm not expecting 20mm needles but some Dk or aran patterns would be nice.
Similarly, the patterns are rather small in that they mostly go up to a 38" bust or there abouts. If you are making a vintage style knitting book for modern times, then the patterns should be sized up accordingly. Most patterns books and magazines these days go up to 42" or even 44". I think this would have been 'doable' for these designs while still keeping the integrity of the overall look.
Finally, the book consists almost entirely of jumpers and cardigans. There is one shrug, a skirt (to match a jumper), one fairisle beret, a scarf, fingerless mitts and stockings. As the war years saw lots of accessory knitting, I would have expected some corsages, some collars, some capes and more hats. Small projects make a good starting place for knitters like me who are competent but a little daunted by jumpers on tiny needles with over 200 stitches. Also, accessories have little of the sizing issues you find with garments.
All in all this is a stylish book. If none of the reservations I have listed above worry you, you will love and treasure it. However, if they cause you concerns you may be better looking elsewhere.
on 25 March 2013
There are some really lovely patterns in this book with a true vintage feel but that won't look out of place now. There are several that I plan to knit and I've actually started the 'Wallis' cardigan. I'm so excited to finish it as it's looking good. However, I'm finding the instructions leave a little to be desired! Thankfully I'm quite an experienced knitter so am able to work out the bits and measurements that are missing!
All in all though I love this book and I'm hoping that it's only the 'Wallis' pattern that I find problems with.
55 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 August 2014
This could have been a wonderful book, but alas, it isn't. In the introduction it says these are vintage patterns, updated for modern yarns and to fit modern women. Not quite sure where the authors of this book have been for the last few decades, but here the average woman wears a size larger than a 38" bust ! If you go to all the trouble to reconfigure a vintage pattern , why on earth would you not size them to fit most modern women? The designs are lovely , the yarns used are easily available, so if the sizing had been more realistic, it would have been one of my favourites. Given that so many others have found glaring errors in the written patterns, I shall not bother to size any up. A shame. A little more effort would have resulted in a modern classic.
on 25 February 2013
When this book arrived , I was stunned by the beaty of the sweaters. I started straight away with a pattern. After an hour i found out that not a thing was correct , the number of stitches didn't correspond , even in knitting a motive , one row had 9 stitches , the next 12 .... I am not a beginner in knitting and after a great deal of time i found the mistakes. But i imagine for someone who isn't ... So even if it is a beatifull book i rate it two starts because of the mistakes
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 January 2013
I loved the styles in this book, but struggled to follow one of the patterns. I contacted one of the authors by phone who told me that there had been an omission in the instructions. She apologised and put me straight, but admitted that there was more than one mistake.
33 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 January 2015
As should be obvious from the title, this is a book that will appeal mainly to people who like vintage clothing. Although the patterns have been updated to suit modern yarns (and, to a lesser extent, modern figures), many of them are still quite dated in appearance and would look a little odd on those of us who don't habitually dress in garments from the mid 20th Century.

Other reviewers have commented on the sparseness of the instructions and myriad errors. I haven't found this, but that might be because I learnt to knit in the 1960s when pattern instructions were perhaps less detailed than nowadays, and I have only knitted one design from the book and found it to be error free. But I did do an internet search to try and find a list of errata, without success. The publisher, Jacqui Small Publishing, doesn't even seem to have a website at present. A failure to make errata easily available online for knitting patterns in this day and age is indefensible, when people will be going out and spending good money on yarn and then find they cannot make sense of the instructions. (For anyone in this position, I suggest you ask advice from the shop where you bought the yarn.)

Although I have knitted one jumper from the book and I'm pleased with the result, I regard this as more of a coffee table book than a pattern book. There is some interesting information at the start about vintage knitting patterns and how to adapt them, and lots of lovely photos that will make anyone who loves knitwear go "ooh" and "aah", but I suspect that most knitters won't find much in it that is wearable. We just don't wear close-fitting little tops in fine, natural fibre yarns that have to be handwashed nowadays. Also, as others have said, be aware that all the designs are for adult females and if you are any bigger than a 38" bust you'll probably have to modify the patterns.
on 13 January 2014
I, too, was very taken by this lovely-looking book and thought the garments were beautiful. i bought the yarn, but, before I even started the first pattern (Jayne, p.17) I realised the number of inches/cms given for the ribbed welt was completely wrong...far too few. I added several, knitted them, then looked at the instructions for the 8-row pattern...didn't make sense, numbers didn't add up at all. Had to give up. I telephoned the publisher. The outcome of this was that I was emailed the right pattern (watch this space). Very helpful people there, but they only gave me corrections for the above pattern and the Greta wristwarmers/gloves. I would be interested to know if any other purchasers have found other patterns to be wrong.

I have been knitting for years and this the first time I have ever come across mistakes like these....even free patterns in magazines are right.