on 15 January 2011
I stumbled upon this book when looking for a place to start making ice cream using a machine and was initially impressed by the sheer variety of recipes on offer (I would never have thought to include cheese in an ice cream before reading this book!).

When it arrived I was incredibly impressed by the sheer detail offered into how to master the basics - how to make a custard, how long to leave flavours to steep and even such simple concepts as using cool mixtures in the machine rather than warm.

Once I'd mastered the basic vanilla I couldn't wait to start tucking into some of the more exciting recipes and to date I have made the following:
Dark chocolate raspberry
Coconut
Sour Cream strawberry
Peanut butter and chocolate
Pear and caramel
Pear & Pecorino cheese

And (with the exception of the cheese one which I found a bit too crazy for my palette) they have all been delicious (particularly the pear caramel / coconut) and since buying this book I have given up my haagen dazs habit as everything coming out of this book tastes so much better :)

Bottom line - if you have an ice cream machine or are at all serious about ice cream, this book is an essential purchase!
on 14 September 2012
I absolutely love this book, and I'm very demanding when it comes to recipe books. Not for me are books that contain lots of photos but not much in the way of recipes, or those that sell a lifestyle without actually giving you authoritative advice on cooking techniques. But this one is just brilliant. As well as providing hundreds upon hundreds of carefully worked-out, utterly reliable recipes (have a look at the Index in Search Inside if you don't believe me), Lebovitz is extremely good at explaining technique and showing you exactly what to do. The book is really quite comprehensive - as well as the obvious variants like gelato, Philadelphia-style, sorbet and granita, it also tells you how to make other bases, for example with soured cream or condensed milk, and gives recipes for sauces, mix-ins - such as candied nuts - and even 'vessels', like cones.

Also, I love the slightly goofy picture of Lebovitz holding an ice cream cone on the back flap. You can see it in his eyes that he loves ice cream as much as I do!
on 12 January 2013
I have reviewed a few ice cream books but I have the idea that this one is the best of all! Still I am also happy with the other books I reviewed as each, even the two very simple ones come with some very good recipes! What I do now that I have both, The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas and Sweet Accompaniments and Ices: The Definitive Guide is that I compare the recipes they both have in common and choose the one that appeals most to me. And recipes I find appealing use less sugar something I think that David Lebovitz takes good care of! I have no interest in eating an ice cream with almost more sugar than fruit and which only makes me very thirsty! I have just finished reading this book and marking the recipes I want to make (which is most of them!) but so far I have tried the Cranberry-Orange Sorbet which is very tasty but due to the fact that cranberries are very difficult to find where I live I might not make it very often. Also, although it has a truly beautiful color and a very good taste no one would guess that it is made with cranberries. I added Grand Marnier, as David suggests and which makes the sorbet more scoopable and served it in the Lemon-Poppy Seed Cookie Cups (only I changed the lemon for orange as the first time I made it I found the lemony flavour a bit strong. I got the recipe totally wrong the first time so I ended up breaking it into pieces and eating them. The second time it all looked a lot better but this is a recipe with a lot of fat. Next time I might make a recipe I made once which is quite similar but doesn't include the almonds or the poppy seeds as I think that it was less fat. I served marinated strawberries into the cups which were quite delicious!

I have to confess that I have no idea exactly what granitas are, except that they are kind of softer sorbets. I don't know whether one drinks them, eats them with a spoon or why one wouldn't just eat a sorbet instead. David says that one can serve them with a scoop of ice cream or sorbet on the top or serve the granita on the top of them. One can also serve them in a glass with a bit of some strong drink or wine but I have no idea how that works. I wish I could try it made by someone who knows what they are doing.....

Anyway, this is a book full of great ideas and written by a person who is very obviously in love with ice cream. He also has a great sense of humour and it is a joy to read all the short texts that come with the recipes! I think that although I live in France I will be able to find most of the ingredients! The photos are quite appealing as well! I wish David had thought of repeating all the combinations in all the recipes as some of them are only mentioned with the sauces for example so I am writing them down in each recipe otherwise I maybe won't think of trying all the options (easier to do it when you have the book online though and can copy and paste!).
on 9 August 2012
I bought this book at the same as Lola's one (also available on Amazon). I've been told by a number of people that Lola's is the best ice cream book on the market. Having gone through them both, I beg to differ....!

Lebowitz' enthusiasm and sense of child-like wonder about ice cream really comes through in this book, whilst I find Lola's a bit cold (pardon the pun) and scientific. Lebowitz has a larger variety of recipes, sometimes giving custard and non-custard varieties of the same one for when you absolutely positively need ice cream as soon as humanly possible. The range and inventiveness of the recipes is also incredible - so far I've done bog standard vanilla (with a berry swirl), roasted banana, butterscotch and pecan and avocado (inspired) and they have all come out brilliantly. There are some properly weird sounding ones (cracked black pepper ice cream anyone?) which just sound so mental that they must be good. Next up - caramelised pear.

Whilst I have yet to try the sorbets, sherbets or granitas I have every confidence that they will also be delicious.

The book itself is very nicely put together, with hints, tips and serving suggestions available on most recipes. I find this gives me the confidence to muck about a little and put my own spin on things. Although this does mostly involve just adding a shot of bourbon to everything. Mmmmm grown-up ice cream...

Oh - I would recommend investing in an ice cream machine too. Makes life so much easier and gives you a much creamier final product with no ice crystals in.
on 9 May 2009
I stumbled across the author when I was looking for help on the web on how to make caramel. Then I spotted his salted butter caramel ice cream recipe, which is frankly the best ice cream I've ever tasted (not in this book incidentally, but don't let that stop you buying it). So I asked for his book for my birthday and I have not been disappointed. The Gianduja Gelato (choc praline) is amazing, and there are a host of accompaniments, sauces and vessels to go with the ice cream. There is a section at the start about the basics which is useful if you're new to ice cream making. And he writes personal little notes about each recipe that I find really interesting. Lots of fab pictures too. If in doubt, google "salted butter caramel ice cream", make that and then you'll know why you need to buy this book.
on 21 September 2007
This is a very good collection of ice cream recipes. It's also a very good collection of recipes for things that go with ice cream. Born of the most glorious, obsessional, refinement David Lebovitz provides the perfect inspiration to put your ice cream maker to use.

An exceptionally fine book.
on 14 December 2011
This is a beautiful book with some mouth-watering recipes in it. We have tried a few already. The toasted coconut is delicious, especially teamed up with the mango sorbet. However quite a few of the recipes are a bit odd and I am not sure that we will ever try them (working on the basis that we don't want to waste the time, ingredients and money on something that sounds a bit nasty). In hindsight I wish that I had shopped around a bit more. I really want to make Italian style gelato and so far this does not seem to be the right book.
33 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 February 2013
A very nice book - good quality paper, appetizing photographs and a collection of the most varied ice cream recipes you could ever find, ranging from simple vanilla ice cream, fresh fruit sorbets and strange recipes like parsley ice cream! (yet to be tried and tested...) What we've tried so far has been successful, both in texture and flavour.
The only slight downside with this book is its American author perspective that can get a little bit annoying at times.
on 22 February 2012
I've recently bought an ice cream maker and since now I've relied on the web for my recipes as I couldn't find a book that suited me. The Lebovitz book has provided me with what I was looking for, it is 100% about recipes as a recipe book should be, no wasted pages about the history of ice cream (just a short introduction on the tools needed and a description of major ingredients), no wasted pages on cakes, mousses, cocktails, etc., out of 244 pages 214 pages are filled with ice cream, sorbets, frozen yogurt and granitas recipes, plus a short useful section on making sauces and biscuit cones! All recipes are well written, have a short entertaining introduction from the author, most include a "variation" section and all include "perfect pairing" advice, a huge selection of flavours and styles are covered and all recipes use European measures (no cups!). I recommend this book to whoever is serious about homemade ice cream making and is looking for a entertaining, informative and comprehensive book.
on 30 April 2010
I have already followed David's ice-cream recipes published in fine cooking magazine. Never thought my ice cream would come out so well but I have never had a mishap. The book is a real sort of bible for this craft. Jam packed with recipes not only for ice-cream but also granitas, frozen yogurt etc... It arrived in perfect condition. Very happy.