Customer reviews

on 16 December 2014
An interesting read and your can see the change when sugar came in in the 60's / 70's. Ironically I've now been veggie for a year now, but this was on ethical grounds. If you enyoy meat then you should read this.
on 29 August 2009
This detailed and authoritative book gives real information about fat in our diets. It celebrates the deliciousness of fat and explains the different sorts of fats and their real effect on us.
If only some of the institutionalised nutritionists who blindly proclaim all fat bad and to be avoided would read it and reconsider their blanket advice more people would rediscover the joy of food and cooking properly, - and probably lose weight and improve their health as a result.
And it is a beautiful book!
on 24 July 2009
At last there is someone who is prepared to put pen to paper and justify the benefits of animal fat which has been naturally produced. This is an excellent, informative and sensible book which clearly explains why we should be using animal fats in our diet. A superbly presented book, every home should have one and every cook read it!
on 11 November 2008
Jennifer McLagan has put me back in touch with enjoying and appreciating food. She's full of well-researched calm common sense - something sorely lacking in the hysterial "obesity epidemic" headlines that seem to scold us like clueless, greedy children. Instead of alientating us from food, she celebrates the goodness, history, pleasure and benefits of eating wonderful ingredients.

Fat is a welcome return to the ingrained wisdom we used to have about the food we ate before over-processing and misinformation made eating and cooking full of guilt and consequence.

Her recipes are absolutely delish, well laid out and easy to follow. She's totally changed my relationship with food and she's made me a much better cook. Fat is a book I'm constantly going back to not only for the recipes, but also for reassuring sanity checks - from a person who truly knows - and refreshingly likes - food.

Grand stuff.
on 4 January 2010
This is a very well written book raising serious facts and arguments to debunks a lot of myths and hysteria that has been brought onto an age old ingredient which has been reveared since the beginning of time, yet feared since 1990...
on 21 March 2010
Fantastic book, read it from cover to cover in one sitting.
For somebody with a high cholestrol at last some truths about fats.
on 1 February 2011
This is a great great book. Makes you realise it's better to eat/cook with lard etc than it is with a lot of other things. Educational and informative with great recipes in it too. I recommend highly.
on 11 September 2014
I admit that I was a bit sceptical about the book but I decided to buy it nonetheless.
I think that the author accurately captures the problem of our present-day lives and our diets. After reading this book I realized that it's true. My whole life everyone and everything told me that fat is bad and that IT'S BAD. After 30 years of indoctrination I have problems looking directly at a cube of lard, not mentioning that seeing fat on a meat gives me the chills.
Of course I realize that is a tragedy itself and more I think about it, more I realize how extremely powerful was/is the lobby of vegetable fat and that it practically purged out animal fat from our lives.
I remember that when I was a kid my whole family used animal fat every day. Butter, lard, you name it. Now I'm trying to break my aversion to fat and start using animal fat in my cooking. And the book? You can tell that the author loves food and cooking. The recipes are really good and I can't wait to try them all. Maybe the quantities are not really clear but I believe after a bit of practice anyone will get it right. I proudly can say that I made my first ever (deliberately) churned butter and it was great.