Customer reviews

on 7 August 2017
very happy with purchase
on 28 July 2009
I am very sorry that Nuala O Faolain is no longer here to see her reviews...it somehow takes away the point. But I'll throw my sixpence in anyway. One of my favourite books of all time is "My Dream Of You." "Best Love, Rosie" (title sounds misleadingly chick-lit) runs in a similar vein, dealing with the sadness of a passionate woman forced to accept that she is no longer young. Nuala writes on this subject, as usual, with searing and brutal honesty. Unlike many semi-autobiographical novelists she doesn't worry about making herself look good but leaves nothing out, however unflattering. Yet the novel is filled with moments of great tenderness and humour. I think of her now as a hopeful teenager on a Dublin summer's day on the steps of the National Library, at the start of a thrilling journey to propel herself upwards and outwards out of mediocrity and into the ranks of a passionate and brilliant artist and traveller who will long be remembered.
on 18 July 2012
This novel is my joint-favourite of all time, along with THE GATHERING by Anne Enright and THE MAIDEN DINOSAUR by Janet McNeill. I don't know if it's significant that all three authors are Irish women but the beauty of their writing moves me to tears. BEST LOVE, ROSIE is about a free-spirit and a passionate feminist coming to terms with the limitations of middle-age. I've read it many times and it's all the more poignant because the author sadly passed away in the same year it was published. A wondrous piece of writing, sheer poetry from start to finish. A masterpiece.
on 30 June 2014
Enjoyed it.
on 1 August 2013
I had read a book (My Dream of You) by Nuala O'Faolain years ago and loved it and just wanted to see what else she had written. This is a lovely book - written from the heart.
on 12 September 2010
I bought this because a friend had recommended it. However, I kept thinking 'what is the point of this?' as I read it. It simply didn't grab me and I also kept thinking how silly it was, the age difference for a start didn't make sense. I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get there.