on 22 April 2010
This book covers all the essential elements of how to.....as well as offering superb photos of both paintings and sketches. The text is accessible and gives a real insight into both technique and inspiration. A high quality production which I am sure both my students and I will refer to again and again ....highly recommended.
on 12 May 2012
This book really does help artists who are looking for new ideas to interpret the reality they see in selecting subject matter to paint. Therefore without slaveishly copying the very technique of the artist which is undesirable, the delight rests in seeing how one can suggest texture by using different collage material to incorporate in the painting. However I do feel, after viewing the whole book of the work by Mike Bernard that he over uses newsprint and the brayer to distribute colour and texture in every work so that it results in a rather gimmicky fast technique to achieve spontaneity. I would have preferred to see a more moderate use of these methods or more varied techniques from him.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 24 June 2010
I was drawn to the colourful cover of this book and the inside is no disappointment. It is full of interesting, quite complex-looking work that has much detail. Many of the collages are painted in one of my favourite parts of the world - Cornwall and others have one of my favourite subjects - boats. There is much to learn from this book - colour, collage, abstraction, visual impact. I would recommend this to budding artists interested in collage. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.
on 28 January 2012
A friend showed me this book and I decided I had to buy it! I normally skip through new books when they arrive but with this one I read many pages on first picking it up and I keep going back to it. Absolutely inspiring images and text throughout and easy to follow demonstrations. This is a must have book if you are a creative painter, mixed media artist or keen beginner.
So much in this book you can adapt to suit your own painting style and development.
I would recommend to anyone interested in trying something outside their comfort zone or wanting to experiment more in their art work.
on 23 August 2010
I've only recently become aware of Mike Bernard's work and really like his style. I'm not sure I'm that bothered with the collage in his work but I do like the composition, colour, style and subject matter of his finished paintings. I've not seen any of his work 'face to face' so to speak, and may appreciate the collage/textural input more if I did, but so far I've only seen his work via a catalogue and now in this book.....and like what I see. The book is a great collection of his images and an excellent showpiece for his style and I recommend it to anyone. (I must admit it was the cover picture that originally caught my eye whilst browsing Amazon, as I have been struggling to do a watercolour at my art class of that exact location shot, having had a holiday at the 'Cinque Terra' in Italy last year. Mike's style perfectly catches the 'shabby chic' of this area, and this village of Riomaggiore. His other images of 'shabby' (textural!) buildings, ports , harbours and street scenes in the book are very effective and equally successful).
on 2 February 2011
Mike Bernard takes the themes most other books deal with and gives them a new lease of life. Like a classically trained musician Mike has learnt his craft in the traditional way, but has laboured at not just producing good work but looked for a fresh approach. In my opinion Mike Bernard has created pure Jazz with paint and paper. Recognizable images that are not slavishly following the normal tight constraints of the accepted mediums, but lively toe tapping, head nodding, smooth, cool, and lively exciting work. Looking at his paintings you can see the man has a real skill coupled with a vigorous style. Musicians can paint pictures in your mind. Mike makes music with his paintings. If you want to break free from tight restraints and really begin to love your own work, his book is your best guide. For me his book is my most treasured possession. Would I recommend it? You bet. It's cheap at twice the price.
on 21 July 2015
Interesting book with lots of lovely photos of Mike Bernard's work. I would, however, have liked some very simple, step by step, detailed instructions for the beginner. He does tell you how he produces the pictures using a wide variety of collage materials, inks, paints, pastels etc and I have learnt a lot from reading the book but it's all a bit overwhelming and I am not inspired to have a go.
on 6 July 2010
If you like experimental and mixed media painting you will love this.
Great illustrations and explanations of tecniques used. I already do mixed media work but have found this book exciting.
on 14 February 2012
Mike Bernard's book changed my painting style overnight.
Not a day passes without I review this book for inspiration.
I love it, but not for those with a traditional disposition
on 15 January 2015
This book was excellent at show casing the artists work . I was expecting more step by step demonstrations however as this book was bought mainly as a teaching tool. I would also find it difficult to follow the included demonstrations from start to finish as not fully explained for the benefit of an amateur artist.