on 22 April 2010
This book covers all the essential elements of how to.....as well as offering superb photos of both paintings and sketches. The text is accessible and gives a real insight into both technique and inspiration. A high quality production which I am sure both my students and I will refer to again and again ....highly recommended.
on 21 July 2017
All this book shows is the work of this very talented artist There is very little teaching, so if you are expecting to learn about collage or abstract art choose another book.

I'd be honoured to have one of Mike Bernard's paintings on my wall but this book wiil be returned.
on 15 January 2015
This book was excellent at show casing the artists work . I was expecting more step by step demonstrations however as this book was bought mainly as a teaching tool. I would also find it difficult to follow the included demonstrations from start to finish as not fully explained for the benefit of an amateur artist.
on 2 February 2011
Mike Bernard takes the themes most other books deal with and gives them a new lease of life. Like a classically trained musician Mike has learnt his craft in the traditional way, but has laboured at not just producing good work but looked for a fresh approach. In my opinion Mike Bernard has created pure Jazz with paint and paper. Recognizable images that are not slavishly following the normal tight constraints of the accepted mediums, but lively toe tapping, head nodding, smooth, cool, and lively exciting work. Looking at his paintings you can see the man has a real skill coupled with a vigorous style. Musicians can paint pictures in your mind. Mike makes music with his paintings. If you want to break free from tight restraints and really begin to love your own work, his book is your best guide. For me his book is my most treasured possession. Would I recommend it? You bet. It's cheap at twice the price.
on 28 January 2012
A friend showed me this book and I decided I had to buy it! I normally skip through new books when they arrive but with this one I read many pages on first picking it up and I keep going back to it. Absolutely inspiring images and text throughout and easy to follow demonstrations. This is a must have book if you are a creative painter, mixed media artist or keen beginner.
So much in this book you can adapt to suit your own painting style and development.
I would recommend to anyone interested in trying something outside their comfort zone or wanting to experiment more in their art work.
on 19 November 2015
Beautiful paintings of the artist work not much else lots of repetitive writing. Not suitable for beginner artist getting into mixed media and no clear step by steps even though book says there is? Disapointed. To many art teaching books are showcasing the artist own success. You are left wondering how to achieve the effects throughout this book. If you want to look at lots of paintings of his work this is great.
on 16 January 2014
Admired Mike's work for a long time, in fact it is one of the reasons we visit Beer when in Devon, to see his latest work in the gallery there and savour the atmosphere.
Love the vibrancy of the subject matter he conveys and that is true of the examples illustrated in this book. He has chosen challenging step by step examples that open up his technique but leaving the novice to make their own mark on the finished article. It is impossible to "forge" a Bernard to display in your local art exhibition. What you will exhibit is a picture that will create a lot of discussion and admiration as the viewer finds more and more of interest.
Challenging and thought provoking in both style and substance.
Fabulous book to refer to and leaf through when creating one's own work of art.
on 23 August 2010
I've only recently become aware of Mike Bernard's work and really like his style. I'm not sure I'm that bothered with the collage in his work but I do like the composition, colour, style and subject matter of his finished paintings. I've not seen any of his work 'face to face' so to speak, and may appreciate the collage/textural input more if I did, but so far I've only seen his work via a catalogue and now in this book.....and like what I see. The book is a great collection of his images and an excellent showpiece for his style and I recommend it to anyone. (I must admit it was the cover picture that originally caught my eye whilst browsing Amazon, as I have been struggling to do a watercolour at my art class of that exact location shot, having had a holiday at the 'Cinque Terra' in Italy last year. Mike's style perfectly catches the 'shabby chic' of this area, and this village of Riomaggiore. His other images of 'shabby' (textural!) buildings, ports , harbours and street scenes in the book are very effective and equally successful).
on 6 July 2010
If you like experimental and mixed media painting you will love this.
Great illustrations and explanations of tecniques used. I already do mixed media work but have found this book exciting.
on 14 February 2012
Mike Bernard's book changed my painting style overnight.
Not a day passes without I review this book for inspiration.
I love it, but not for those with a traditional disposition