Format: Hardcover|Change

on 2 May 2012
I bought this book for my dad as a present. He is originally from Manchester and now lives elsewhere. This book has given images to his memories, he couldnt be happier with this book. Its full of colourful images past and present, despite my dad knowing Manchester like the back of his hand; it showed him a couple of places he had not known. This book was money well spent, highly recommended.
on 20 February 2010
A very informative record of Manchester in photos as it was compared with now. Useful as a teaching tool as well as to look back to what familiar places once looked like. Helpful supporting text, too.
on 17 January 2013
The reproductions are excellent and the text interesting and informative. The only criticism is that the modern images have not been shot to match exactly the old ones. Differences in focal length used have meant the perspective is iften very different, even though the view is similar. It might only be noticed by a photographer.....otherwise a splendid book.
on 16 November 2012
This book is great for browsing and reminiscing. I am old enough to remember some of the locations in the book from the 'before' shots as well as current views and enjoyed the trip down memory lane. The photographs from current times have been taken with care to replicate, as far as possible, the same angle and location as a snapshot from days gone by, some of the days very long gone by. The text is a good balance of fact and comment and with a minimum of wasted words and points to the ways of life, commercial or private, which have changed considerably over time. Similarly, some things endure and it is interesting to make such strong connections to people, now long gone, through common locations. Perhaps the book will be of little interest to people who have not lived in or visited Manchester, but there is much here which will apply to many cities, not just in the UK. It is a book I will put on my shelf, having read and browsed, but will no doubt come back to many time in the future.
on 21 October 2011
An interesting read for those interested in the development of Manchester in the photographic era. Easy to relate to the "then and now".
on 3 January 2012
This book really captures the character of our City.

As I had lived overseas for many years, I bought this book for my wife who didn't know Manchester. I can't imagine a better book to present our home town and all its rich history to somebody who has yet to visit.

Strongly recommended.
on 5 March 2013
Bought this book for a friend who is emigrating to Australia, we had a look through it ourselves and were really impressed with it and better still our friend was so pleased its a great reminder of Manchester both past and present.
on 1 December 2014
Being a Lancashire born Manchester man from way back found the book very interesting with a lot of the locations and comparisons striking bells with me. Nostalgia the order of the day with lots of memories rekindled.
on 20 March 2014
An excellent book, full of great photographs and information. As a Manchunian living away from home it is a delight and very informative. Well worth buying.
on 12 March 2013
I bought this for my son who is in his last year at uni in Manchester. He loves it, it is a really nice keepsake.