on 26 October 2015
Ahhh, memories. If you're looking for a book that reminds you of stuff back in the day, then this is it. Searching questions and explanations appear throughout the book, including for example, why we don't see white dog poo anymore. Invaluable.
on 28 December 2012
If you're born around the early 1970's you'll love reminiscing whilst reading this book - Betamax videos, Toothpaste tubes made of metal, Raleigh Grifter bicycles (I had one), this list goes on. A fantastic read, I couldn't put it down.
on 2 December 2012
good fun for those of us who like a bit of nonsense. Not all literature needs to be Dickens. Sometimes it is good to read something that is fun.
on 30 November 2015
Rubbish
on 7 January 2013
Heavens, I hadn't realised how many things had gone out of fashion and use until I read this book. A pleasant trip donw memory lane.
on 10 September 2014
How quickly you forget!! Good reminders of things gone by
VINE VOICEon 10 December 2011
You really do have to be over thirty to get the most out of this book, though my fourteen-year old remembers some of them. I'm just shy of fifty and will admit I was unaware of some of the toys in here, but yes, I remember Sinclair Spectrums, sweet tobacco (it never encouraged me to smoke) and 8-track stereos. I still think snickers are Marathons, Starbursts are Opal Fruits and G00d God! My daughter tells me Bounty bars have changed their name now, too! I loved Texan bars and Old English Spangles, too.

This is a book to dip in and out of rather than a sit-and-read. Quite a trip down nostalgia lane.
on 1 April 2012
When going on holiday I offered this to my husband as his reading matter. He declined, he's not much of a reader. So I took it instead. The first night went like this:

Me: "Could I have my book back now?"
Him: "Yes of course. Oh my god, yes, ring pulls! Listen to this:" *reads extract*.
Me: "That's funny, so if I could just..."
Him: "Smarties tubes!"
Me: "Charlie, my book?"
Him: "Do you remember ice cream bricks?"
Me: *admits defeat & downloads something else for my kindle*

Moral of the story - don't show it to your husband.
11 Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 February 2012
When my copy arrived I thought I'd just flick through it but ended up reading it from cover to cover. Brilliant, funny and nostalgic. So much "I remember those!", shows I'm getting old. Highly recommended!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 19 July 2014
How can it be so hard to review a book that had me sighing and nodding in agreement all the way through? A book that started so many conversations in this house .... "Oh, do you remember ......"; "bloody hell, I've not thought of those for years ....."; "now I'm craving ....."

This is not a story, it's not fiction, nor is it a history book ~ well, I suppose it is in a way. I defy anyone over the age of 35 to read this without exclaiming in joy at least ten times throughout.

I remember EVERYTHING in this book - every single thing. The shops on the High Street, and not just Woolworths, but Athena and Our Price and C&A (did every C&A smell a bit funny, or was that just the Lincoln branch?). I remember the frustration of arriving in town at 2pm on Wednesday and remembering that it's bloody HALF DAY CLOSING.

Black Jacks and Fruit Salad chews at half a penny each; Spangles and sweet cigarettes; reading Mandy comic and always having a 2p coin so that we could ring Dial-a-Disc from the red telephone box.

21st Century Dodos brings back so many memories, and yes, I do look back fondly and it's easy to forget that this was mainly the 70s - the decade of very bad fashion mistakes, and terrible disco pants and rock stars who wore platform boots and glittery eyeshadow (and that was the men).

This is perfect book for one of those evenings or summer afternoon when you get all of your friends round, down a few bottles and start reminiscing about the 'good old days'. It will spark so many memories, so many conversations and I'd guess there would be a fair few arguments too.

This is funny and charming and will make you crave things that you'd not thought about in years. The writing is great, not stuffy or text-book like - it's easy and friendly and I loved it. I loved every page.