Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 September 2017
This is some pretty inspirational stuff. Compared to the author I'm a spring chicken and I am umming and arrhing about a little bike ride of a couple of weeks. That a 70 something man with a heart condition should tackle and complete such a massive journey on a little 125cc Honda with an 80kph cruising speed and cover anything from 250 to 800kms a day is amazing. I like the way he observes but doesn't so much comment. What I did learn even more than I thought I knew. Is what a disgrace the American government and it's big business is. The United Fruit and General Noriega stories are particularly damming of America. I had no idea so many innocent people were killed when the Americans got Noriega. Anyway, an interesting and educational book. In which we learn many of the boogie men are not real and all that it's probably best to ignore what most people who have never been to a certain country say about safety as they have no idea.
on 30 March 2016
As a nearly 70 year old biker stuck in bed with a heavy cold I read Simon Gandolfi's book, and its sequel "back to back". I really enjoyed both books. It's rare to find a writer in this genre who is more interested in meeting people in the countries he travels through AND listening to what THEY have to say than in their own "adventure". So in the depths of my cold-ridden misery I was able to learn how the very real people he encounters live, and their view of the world, especially the bullyboy USA Superpower as it affects their humble lives. Gandolfi's writing brings them, their landscapes and cultures and food to life. He is a VERY brave creature to take on all of this from the saddle of a small motorcycle, but this makes the read much more interesting than "three times around the universe on my 2000 cc BMW all conquering behemoth" would be. Bravo Maestro Gandolfi !
on 10 July 2017
I found this book an enjoyable read, maybe part of it being an ex biker and also somewhere along the same age as the author. What a game lad riding all that distance on a bike not much bigger than a moped I kept wondering as his mileage clocked up. He was very concise in all his writing with some nice funny bits. A good read for the price and I will be looking to read more from Mr Gandolfi.
on 25 September 2017
Still reading it and enjoying the well written descriptions of a journey that humorously involves the countries and peoples more than the mechanics of his Honda bike
on 20 May 2017
A fantastic ,inspiring tale of a grounded traveler making his way through the lives of the ordinary ( extraordinary) people of Latin America .Reading this book was a pleasure and made me want to go too.
on 10 March 2017
arrived promptly and as described.
on 5 September 2017
Very nice book, I loved it.
on 18 November 2014
Good book, sometimes anti Blair anti war gets too much attention also anti Falklands mmmmmmm pacifist upbringing.

All reported by the locals and written and reported by Simon with his slant.

Still worth a read
on 25 September 2017
Not a bad book but too much self opinion on politics for me, should be about the ride
on 25 July 2017
good book I can relate to what Simon writes about very interesting