on 6 March 2016
As a professional who works in this line of work and involved with ladies (and gentlemen) like Rose, I found this to be very touching and an interesting insight into the life of Martin and Rose. I found it particularly touching how Martin dealt with Rose's "problems" as she asked, by writing the letters and responding to them. I believe that each person with this cruel illness is different and there is no right or wrong way to respond, if it helps to reassure and not cause any distress then there's no harm in going along with what the person believes. A truly moving story that I couldn't put down and read it in one day. RIP Rose
on 16 February 2018
I have never laughed so much at a book in my entire life, so much so that even the cracked rib that I'm sporting right now couldn't stop me from fits of hysterics and trying not to wake the whole house up in the middle of the night as i just could not put it down. This is the most wonderful book, i never wanted it to end. All i can say is what a team Bruno and Rose were!!! What a lovely family and heartfelt account of what it is like living with Alzheimer's. I have recommended this book to everyone and had to read parts out to my husband it was just THAT good. Particularly the chapter when Bruno arrives. Martin, although the book is sad at parts and incredibly touching you are a very talented writer and a very funny man
on 16 October 2013
I downloaded this book last night as I went to bed and have just finished reading it at 5am. I got some sleep in as well, but I am wakeful most nights now as my lovely dad is in hospital nearing the end of his life and his battle with Alzheimer's Disease. Even so, I have been told to look for a nursing home for him and I found Martin's experiences a salutary guide in an area no child relishes exploring on behalf of their parent. What if you make the wrong choice? What if your parent doesn't like it - but can't communicate that? All the tragi-comedy of Alzheimer's Disease that robs you of the person you once knew by degrees is laid bare; all the feelings you have as a carer are mirrored, even down to the dread that you might get the disease yourself (and wish to be shot on diagnosis in your darker moments). There isn't much to laugh at with AD, but Rose, Martin, Heather and the antics of the borrowed hound from hell, Bruno, who gave Rose so much (and only swiped a joint of roast beef in return) make this book a page-turner. There's no happy ever after ending, but for those beginning, undergoing or reaching the end of the long goodbye journey, this is an enlightening book that deals with all aspects of an individual experience honestly shared. Thank you, Martin.
on 27 December 2015
I read this book from beginning to end in one sitting.. I simply couldn't put it down. What a beautifully written account of first hand experience with a loved one suffering Alzheimers. My now Husband and I lived in a flat across the hall from a dear old woman who was struck with Alzheimer's. Reading this book brought back some wonderful and also upsetting memories of the decline of a wonderful character just like Mrs Slevin. I recall the attempts at escape, urgent need to find the denture glass she'd moved to a 'safe place', but the best of all was bringing her back up the stairs after I foiled an escape attempt where she told me "It's only Dementia love".. Rose was so lucky to have you around, unlike a lot of people who are either too busy or too broke to afford a 'decent, caring' residence. Your true dedication and love for your mother shone through this book.. I laughed and cried - especially love the 'socks on the wall' and the 'chocolate biscuit purchases'.. not to mention the shaving of the poor dogs bum!! Please do read this book, one day you might be unfortunate enough to have a loved one experience this disease. A little knowledge goes a long way... Thanks Martin (Richard).. from Rebecca (Koh Samui, Thailand)
on 19 March 2018
Such a beautifully written story for your mum. Your mum's story is so touching, upsetting but also funny. Sometimes it's better to laugh than cry at someone's ways and actions. Being a carer I see a lot of family's trying to understand Alzheimer the frustrations it can have on both sides. But also I see all the happy moments even if it's just a glimmer it's there you take it. The support that's out there is trying to grow but it's still not enough. Thank you for sharing.
on 19 July 2014
My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease just over a year ago and it has been difficult and not helped by the fact that her husband of 26 years died suddenly on her 85th Birthday. The shock of this, we are sure has had the effect of speeding up the symptoms of Alzheimer's and had us all concerned. HOWEVER, it has been a difficult year and we now have a carer in from Mon - Fri from 8:30 to 7;00pm and and also for 4 hrs on Sat & Sunday.
I saw this book and started reading it and with a wry grin, realised that I was reading exactly what my mum was doing and that just as stated in the book there are many things that can be explained and many that can't. We have had many laughs, however I think I would have screamed when Bruno carried off one of his daring raids.
When you start to read this book you won't want to put it down - I didn't, I read it over two days and it was a great help in understanding how the patient behaves as I could relate to many of the things spoken about in the book,
on 5 January 2018
Really fascinating insight into life as a carer for someone with Alzheimer's. Very touching and sad, but written with love and humour. Everyone should read this, it is likely to affect us all in some way.
on 11 February 2015
I bought this book as recommended by a friend. We both work with dementia sufferers in a nursing home which honestly is a lovely one! I was fixed from the first page.
The very well written story is about a great man who lives with his mother who has Alzheimer's, he tells the story of everyday struggles, adventures and mishaps which come with living with dementia but he does this while preserving his mum's dignity to the end. I found it refreshing to read such honesty in a light hearted way. I can relate to many symptoms and behaviours mentioned being a dementia support worker and I would highly recommend this book to anyone else who is effected by dementia in any way. What an incredible man Martin must be to have cared for his wonderful mum as much as physically possible for one person!
on 14 November 2017
I was recommended this book as my granddad has dementia and has just gone into a care home. The book was written from the heart, all of the good times, fun times and extremely difficult times. I am sure that Martin in writing this book has really helped so many people, in particular carers who often feel so lonely and isolated when faced with this truly dreadful, cruel disease. Thank you for sharing your story x
on 17 April 2018
Compulsive reading - especially if you know nothing about dementia.
This sensitive insight of the author's Mother sliding into dementia is told with a sense of humour, without demeaning the subject.
My own Mother has dementia and I found many parallels with this account.
I will reread this book.