on 4 September 2017
An excellent read. Much in the vein of Coperfields wasting police time but with a much more management stance. An honest account of the state of policing in the U.K.
on 14 August 2017
A good chuckle!
on 24 June 2017
It was ok
on 10 November 2016
Enjoyed reading this.
on 13 September 2008
I am a serving polce officer and can say that after reading this book there is not one thing described I have not come across or thought. It is a great read and sadly very funny and very true. A MUST READ for every senior police officer, senior civil servant, journalist and politician in the land.
0Comment| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 March 2014
This is a very chilling read, and I have no doubt that all the incidents that Gadget talks about and discusses are true .Unfortunately for every action there is a reaction. Democracy creates systems for all, and individuals chose to ignore these constraints then further restraints are introduced-we are all to blame for abusing the system-the police, the judiciary and the general public, we know our rights, we will sue at the drop of a hat. Inspector Gadget tells us how pathetic it has become, and how the whole system is gradually collapsing under a sea of bureaucracy, red tape and paper work.
This is a book that has been written intelligently, and asks more questions than it answers. We need to be clear what we want from the police, and the first port of call must be to the police themselves. Like all public organisations the people that know best as they are front line workers are never asked, what will ever change.
on 1 November 2011
For a long time I carried around a very negative view of the police. I've had my fair share of unpleasant experiences with them (e.g. abusive, aggressive, unhelpful etc.) but to be fair, it's not all been bad. After the London riots in August and watching half a dozen officers stand fast against hordes of thugs I wondered if perhaps my opinions needed a knowledge injection.
I started reading Gadget's blog and was sufficiently impressed to buy this book. I wasn't disappointed. If anything it is far more personal and interesting than his blog (which I enjoy). Some of the stories he tells are deeply moving. It's compelling and funny in equal measure. He comes across as a deeply moral and brave man who signed up to be a police officer for all the right reasons and is hampered at every turn by ignorant muppets in government.
Other stories are infuriating and often terrifying. The few who have wheeled out the obligatory canards about deaths in police custody etc. have willfully ignored Gadget's own views on the matter. He has no time for lazy, racist or thuggish cops and his beef with diversity policy is primarily down the fact that it puts members of the public in danger (often members of the public from ethnic minorities).
I've worked in a front line capacity and I know how vicious some people can be. Criticism of bad policemen is entirely right but dismissal of someone like Gadget as a 'typical white man' with an attitude from the seventies is as stupid as it is lazy. When you're getting your head kicked in by Gadget's enemies, you'll be very glad when he and his colleagues turn up to help you out. And when the courts 'punish' the louse who did it with a slap on the wrist, maybe you'll see where the man is coming from.
Good job, Gadget.
on 18 September 2008
Should be a must read for every MP or prospective MP as well as any MOP (Member of the Public - that's you and me) who is at all concerned with how target driven policing is failing each and every one of us.

I work in an industry where targets and service levels are our bread and butter, what I've realised is that unless you're very careful you end up with every SLA met and very unhappy customers who didn't know that good SLAs are not the same as good service.

Read it, twice, then make sure you tell everyone you can to read it too. Perhaps then our "customer satisfaction" will drop enough that someone will think to look at this properly.
on 4 July 2009
Have read 'Wasting Police Time' and this is equally as entertaining. Was very interesting to hear the take on things from somebody a bit higher up in the ranks. Some hilarious (and saddening!) stories to remind us all of just how ridiculous our justice system is
on 19 July 2012
Having spent 12 years in the police and also writing a book about my experienced called The Good Guys Wear Blue: One Mans Struggle Policing the Streets of Broken Britain I know exactly where the author is coming from.

I actually served as a PC, detective and sergeant but it is reassuring to know that inspectors felt exactly the same frustrations as the rest of us.

This book is a collection of real life stories told from the perspective of a serving officer so of course is catalogue of amusing stories involving dealing with Joe Public, deranged criminals and crazy senior management. I'm not sure there are any lessons you can take away from reading the book because there is little we can do to change the painful policies and procedures we love to follow in the UK.

Read this if you want an insight into policing in the UK.

Paul Browning