on 3 July 2010
I was surprised at how little choice there was in the way of guidebooks specifically on Normandy. Ordinarily I'd have chosen a Lonely Planet or Time Out style book but ended up with the Michelin through necessity. In our week in Normandy, I found it of very little use. The maps are pretty useless considering that it's essentially a driving guide, and the descriptions of the towns fail to conjure up any particular image or inspire a visit. There are very few recommendations of places to eat or shop, whereas tons of information on churches etc. If that's what you're going for then this may be the book for you, but I could have done with more information on the practicalities and less of a history lesson. It's a lovely area of France which is very popular with Brits, so fingers crossed for a better guide to the area before too long.
on 2 August 2006
Ok, not entirely suited to the Normandy Beaches tourist but still a useful book I found. The bits that concerned the WW2 sites were informative and maps easy to find/follow. This coupled with a road map and some history books really made the "Discover the history of the Landings" trip for me. Small enough to carry on my motorbike tank bag and also interesting enough to read @ night it was a good last minute buy. An added bonus was the fact that the Channel Islands are featured in this guide too, somewhere else I am planning to see for the WW2 aspect soon.
on 6 August 2010
A good book, but a bit too general with not enough detail. We used their guide to the Riviera and had some wonderful meals, so trusting their advice we went to, a new to us, restaurant in St Var and were very dissapointed. - Touristy, over priced, hot and cramped. The guide is also quite difficult to understand, they go in alphabetical order rather than district and the maps are hard to find trucked away in the text. We are going to the Dordogne next, armed with a Michalin guide, so it will be interesting to see how that compares.
on 29 July 2009
Basically it does what it says on the tin. I have been using the Michelin Guides for more than 30 years and still rate them highly.

I wanted to visit the Cherbourg Peninsular for a company celebratory lunch and had limited time between high speed cat arrival and departure times. The guide enabled me to find what I wanted and got me there quickly, so that our time was maximised.
on 3 March 2011
The Michelin Green Guides are one of the classic travel guides with a well balanced range of information and comment, ideal to enable the traveler to select their route and destination.
on 16 June 2013
A good overview of the area and interesting to compare with the lonely planet guide. Michelin is definitely more chateaux compared to the lp's water sports lol
on 29 July 2009
I've used Michelin guides for years and generally think they are great, certainly better than Lonely Planet.

However, this one (the UK version of the bigger French original) has become outdated. There are address errors, for example, corrected in the French edition but not in this older UK edition - that cost us miles and time. The town write-up for Caen looks to be years out of date, and certainly didn't help to use or understand the town.

As a guide to the history of towns its fine, but as a guide to Normandy today it's not up to speed!
on 8 June 2015
Excellent book for travellers to france
on 25 March 2015
As expected, prompt delivery.
on 13 August 2014