Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 January 2011
Maybe I am too old for this travelling abroad 'finding oneself' type-book, but I gave up after 100 pages. Characters that I could not empathise with, namely the lead who annoyed the gizzard out of me.

You can have my book if you are thinking of buying it. It's barely touched (the second half totally untouched). It will be in the Oxfam on Parliament Street in Dublin.
on 11 February 2012
Bought this book on the basis of an Amazon recommendation having bought the masterpiece that is 'Kill your Friends'. Made it 52 pages until I realised that this appeared not only to be the author's first attempt to write a book, but also his first attempt to write words. Ever. If you want my copy it's in our holiday villa, in almost immaculate condition. Characters not believable, pace slow, dialogue laborious, plot uninteresting. Avoid.
on 8 September 2010
Having read some of the reviews of this book you would have thought it was some sort of literary masterpiece.

I was really looking forward to reading Fat Tuesday and having read and enjoyed books such as The Beach and The Backpacker I thought Fat Tuesday would be right up my street. Unfortunately, Fat Tuesday has to be one, if not the worst book I have ever read. It's like it is written by a fifteen year old. On more than one occasion I contemplated leaving it on the train during my commute to work just so I could get rid of it. Previous reviews mention about it being a fast paced and to a certain extent it is, but it is so lacking in detail and good narrative that anything other than fast paced would make you slowly lose the will to live.

After reading this I also feel the author is so out of touch and/or has completely lost touch with youth/back packing culture.

A reviewer on Amazon said they read the book twice, which I find extremely hard to believe and someone actually compared it to Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas which is absolutely ridiculous and really made me laugh.

If you want a fast paced page turner about back packing/travelling/drugs/youth culture then read The Beach or The Backpacker and don't waste your time with this rubbish.
on 3 September 2013
I bought Streakers by this author and enjoyed it so much I bought Fat Tuesday. I quite liked the characters and found the book its self quite easy to read. I was enjoying it and at times I could not put it down and then it was as if the author had lost the plot. I was left thinking "what was it all about". The ending made no sense at all and I was left wondering if he really was mad or he had been set up. All very confusing. I did'nt really like it that much.
on 7 December 2008
I thought Fat Tuesday was absolutely fantastic in every way. It is a fast paced psychological thriller where you should expect the unexpected. I literally couldn't put it down. The characters are brilliant and at the start of the book are people that we can all relate to in some way. I work in the psychology field and sometimes fictional books can be inaccurate and too far fetched, however Gary Davison really got into the minds of the individuals in Fat Tuesday. Best book I have read in years and for days after I could not stop thinking about it. Really left a shiver up my spine. I hope he publishes more very soon.
on 15 January 2009
I got onto this book after reading a review on the net. the review said it had a young Bukowski feel to it, so i thought I'd give it a shot. I'm a big fan of Post Office and Factotum, so this had a lot to live up to. Davison isn't Bukowski, but I can see the similarities people are talking about. Like Bukowski he writes at a cracking pace, the story only ever going in one direction. It relentless goes forward and that's what everyone is getting at, and I wouldn't disagree. Fat Tuesday is a great book, full of twists and turns, plenty of sex violence and crime and the ending will have you wondering what exactly have you read. Well worth a read, I'd say.
on 12 January 2010
After reading Streakers - also by Gary Davison - I couldn't wait to read this one. It's a totally different book and has you by the 'neck' from the first few pages. Loved the style and thought the idea was fantastic. I can't wait to read his next book to be honest.
on 9 September 2010
Great fast paced short story. Loads of things happening from loads of different angles, no messing about.
on 17 November 2010
I read this after being given a copy of Streakers (also by Davison) by a friend which I really enjoyed, and FAT TUESDAY is a real blast. It starts off at a cracking pace and never lets up. Drugs, violence, parties, robberies and a physco that will kill you if you so much as glance at his girl. What more could you ask for!

I'm not sure which wrong side of the bed Mr Fairfield got out of when he wrote heis review of FAT TUESDAY, but don't be put off the book by this single bad review. I know that enjoyment of a book is subjective, but clearly Mr Fairfield did not give this a fair chance and some of his comments seems somewhat 'out of order'.

Give it a go - you won't regret it.
on 26 October 2010
I was passed Fat Tuesday by a pal of mine; i imagine he was drawn to it because of the hedonsistic images on the front cover.........how correct i was!
Gritty, fast-paced, "Nee crap" and straight to the point are some of the words that spring to mind whilst writing this review. Plus i didnt know 'Fat Tuesday' was 'Mardi Gras' - you learn something new everyday.
Go on indulge..............you won't be dissapointed.