on 31 October 2016
This is the second Verne book I have devoured in two days which have both been accredited five stars. I could end the review at that and I would be content!

Similar to The Journey to the Centre of the Earth which I read yesterday - Verne creates amazingly awesome and complex characters. The main protagonist Mr. Fogg is an obsessive compulsive routine loving time keeper who bets his chums at the club that he can travel around the world in 80 days, which a newspaper said was possible - if no delays were incurred. He is so deep though, so much is beneath the surface of this quiet, content gent. Never fearing or worrying whatever dilemmas are thrown in his path and always willing to fail the mission to help his friends. He is also very good at handling a boat. I have to ask - does anyone know if he has been in any of Verne's previous stories at it seems like he has an amazing past. If he hasn't been present and that is just what is built up by the writing in this book I am speechless.

His trusty French manservant is amazing too - Not for a long time have two characters been so three dimensional and have I truly cared about them so much in 200 or so pages. This dude is clever, he worries like he is always ruining the plan but he is very loyal, apt gymnast and sometimes lifesaver.

Other characters Fix (a stalking policeman) and Aouda (a rescued Indian damsel) are amazingly created colourful characters too.

I don't want to say too much of the story but it takes places all over the world. London, China, India, Japan, HK, America, Liverpool amongst others. Full of amazing set pieces that whilst being gripping always bring a smile to your face. Travelling on an elephant to rescue a lady due to be burnt to the death, fighting bandits on railway lines in the US are just a couple of these many amazing incidents. I was expecting a scene with a hot air balloon which I see in all the film version advertisments which (spoiler) is not in the book.

I do think that later I am going to watch the Steve Coogan /Jackie Chan version of this to see how it compares.

Love as always. James x
[...]
9 people found this helpful
on 23 June 2014
Having only seen the David Niven film as a child, and having forgotten the whole story, it was a delight to read this book with comparative ‘newness’.
Fogg is by no means likeable nor dislikeable but you warm to him eventually and root for him to succeed in his endeavour.
With excellent support from good and bad guys alike, we sweep around the world and envisage epic scenery and people.
One assumes the research into the global locations is fairly accurate but it doesn’t detract from a thoroughly enjoyable romp.

Fairly easy to read and broken nicely into chapters, this is a book I’d definitely read again in a few years time.
on 13 February 2014
I am not a big fan of revised versions of classic books but I have to admit that I have bought a few from this series and they have given my daughter - a fast improving new reader - a great incentive to indulge her love of books. They are quite manageable for her age (5) and ability and will hopefully inspire her to read the originals when she is older. She likes the fact that these books are in chapters with plenty of illustrations, so she doesn't feel overwhelmed or obliged to read the whole book in one sitting. Her older sister - a competent free reader at 7 years old has also been enjoying these books when she fancies a quick read.
on 7 January 2017
A very nice book I was looking for, about Jules Verne's well known adventure about Phileas Frogg and Passepartout, who made their contest travelling around the world in 80 days. Together with packed and beautiful illustrations, this book made the whole story very understandable for everyone.
Certainly, if you have also the movie from 1956 by Mike Todd, reading this book next to, it really keeps your imagination alive!
on 16 September 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed this one too, Jules Verne truly is a fantastic author. The pace and tension is kept fairly potent throughout. Why four stars rather than five? Because having so recently read his other novels, 20,000 leagues under the sea for instance, I missed the incredible imagination made vividly real through his storytelling. Its still in this piece, but there is less of an old day science fiction feel to it.
on 23 April 2018
I was really impressed with the quality and quick delivery of this book. Being second hand I expected some damage but the book was as good as new. It is a simple edition of the story and is easily shared with young children, but still keeps the main essence of the original. I buy many books to use in the classroom and I would definitely purchase more books this way to keep my costs down.
on 29 September 2015
How could I not warm to a book which mentions the name of my Saville Row spectacles in the very first sentence? (Saville Row is where Phileas Fogg lives.) This great classic interested me not least because in 2002 I tried something vaguely similar, attempting to break the record for circumnavigating the world by powerboat, the story told in Confronting Poseidon: Around the World Against the Odds. Unlike Fogg, there was no helpful manservant, but we had our fair share of scrapes. I love the richness of Verne's descriptions and language - when you think the original story was bashed out for serialisation, one wonders how amazed he would be to see the enduring power of his words, well over a hundred years later. The cover of this edition is somewhat misleading in its use of balloons - Phileas Fogg might have taken to the skies in the movie adaptation, but he never did in the book! Even so, this one will be on my Kindle when I next attempt to circumnavigate the world by powerboat in 2016.
on 15 May 2016
Beautifully illustrated. I have the whole collection of books illustrated by R. Ingpen and I just LOVE them. It is my greatest pleasure to read them to my kids and I am enjoying them over and over again thanks to the beautiful editions. I do own many different editions of all the classic stories but this one is the best. I hope to read it to my grandchildren in the future.
on 19 November 2014
Really enjoyed the book. Read it as a child but appreciated it a lot more this time. Beautiful descriptions of places as the travel across the globe is ploted. Some readers may find it dated but for a book written 140 years ago it stands the test of time and hope my grandson when he is a little older will read it and enjoy it as much as I have.
on 8 April 2016
When you read this classic you realise how forward a thinker Jules Verne was, he foretold the possibility of flight before it was invented, he was way ahead of his time. The book itself is wonderful , full of colourful characters and descriptive scenery and written in days when you would have had to go and visit the places as there was no TV or computers, so research was harder , which goes to prove what a superb work of fiction this is. This book might only be 150 pages long, read it , I have read books 3 or 4 times longer and have not been so richly entertained, indeed a true classic.

Bernard Dagge