on 14 December 2007
Our 9 year old loved reading this creative and intelligent re-writing of the classic Dicken's story. Even though the films have been seen and the songs song this book brought a freshness to the story that was appreciated by our son and also by us once he'd finished with it - which didn't take long. We look forward to ejoying more of Gill Tavner's adaptations in the near future
on 22 August 2013
I used this with my year 3 class when we studied the Victorians. The text is really clear and of a good size and the images are a great discussion point. I used this book inparticular to discuss the structure of stories (story mountains) as it has a clear structure.
on 4 December 2011
Dicken's original story is retold well, the darker parts are inevitably softened but the story still keeps it's impact while being accessible to younger readers. I would recommend.
on 13 August 2012
I ordered this book to introduce my six-year-old to Charles Dickens. Oliver Twist seemed like a good character to begin this with and there were a fair few versions available. I am glad I settled on this as it brilliantly retold and quality of illustration is good too.
on 7 January 2012
The book Oliver Twist is about an orphan that ran away from the orphanage. After running away he went to London and a boy called Dodger took him to Fagin. Fagin made Oliver steal and was caught by Mr. Brownlow who looked after him. But Fagin stole him back. In the end Nancy and Bill Sikes died and Fagin went to jail.

I liked the characters the most, especially Mrs. Maylie because she is very kind. The end was my favorite part because Bill Sikes died and he was very mean.

I didn't like the part when Oliver was walking for seven days because it would have been very boring for him. I also didn't like Fagin's pictures because they were freaky.

Overall I think the book was interesting. I would recommend this book to young children because it's really easy.

By Li Hwei Lee
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 March 2012
The book is written in language that is simple enough that my year 1 class were able to access the meaning and the plot when I read it to them, but of a high enough level that KS2 children should also enjoy reading it.
on 29 July 2013
my son and daughter enjoyed reading this book. i had told them how i enjoyed reading this book when i was young and they wanted to read the book as well. delivery was quick and efficient. i will be reading the book myself again.
on 26 September 2012
This entertaning read is perfect for anyone who loves a bit of mystery and heartbreak all in one great book.Oliver is a boy that lives in a dirty workhouse but gets thrown out. Follow Oliver on his amazing jouney through the terrifying streets of London where he reveals the secrets of his past time. This is a great book and I'd recommend it to mature 8+ readers because it includes some of the horror genre that younger readers may be scared of.
on 19 May 2014
I read this book to my 5 year old grandson, the vocabulary was suitable and the pictures made it easier for home to understand the characters. We all enjoyed revisiting Dickens!
on 21 February 2012
My 7 year old daughter loved it... read it in an afternoon. So as an introduction for younger children to Dickens and to the world of Victorian children it is really good.