on 7 June 2017
First, I wouldn't really call this a book because it's so short (the main content is only 46 pages in large print, and the book is smaller than your average book). I would say this is more of a pamphlet than a book.

Nonetheless, I would definitely reccomend this 'book' to those who are struggling with pride or low self esteem, as well as those who want to know more about what it's like to truly be humble in the Biblical way. Timothy Keller provides great insight into how the Bible deals with such issues.

The only reason why I won't give this a 5 star rating is because I feel like the book could have been much longer so that Timothy Keller could have elaborated on his main points in more detail. I watch a lot of Keller's sermons, and I feel like the content of this book mirrored one of the sermons I watched, and funnily enough, Keller went into much more detail about the topics in the sermon compared to this book!

Yet despite that, I would still reccomend this book. Timothy Keller is one of my favourite pastors/authors, he has so much wisdom and his take on certain passages of scripture is so refreshing. He also provides ways to for practical application which is so crucial for the Christian walk.

So to sum up, this book is really short and not much detailed (which is a great shame). But I still reccomend it because it provides great insight to the topic which can be of great help to those struggling with pride and low self esteem.
on 20 April 2014
Keller's "book" The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness is a short, 3 chapter work looking at what it means to have real freedom in Christ.

The first chapter lays out our issue: We think too much about our own self-esteem - too much and we're selfish or proud, too little and we're miserable.
The second chapter lays out a Christian response.
The third chapter actually tells you how to have that freedom. Essentially it boils down to CS Lewis' suggestion that self-forgetfulness is not thinking less of ourselves (self-deprecation) but thinking of ourselves less. Instead, we should be thinking more of Christ. Its not about our self-esteem, but how much do we esteem Him.

Some issues though:
The whole work reads as a good published sermon. This isn't a bad thing, but he often refers to verses, yet the passage he's preaching from (contained at the front) doesn't have verse numbers. Without a Bible handy, its sometimes hard to follow.

Secondly, its almost like he spends too much time building up to the solution of "How might I achieve such self-forgetfulness?". Its a good book, but I wish he'd have gotten to this part sooner and expanded it, rather than spend so much time on the first 2 chapters. I was reading them thinking "Yep, gotya, I agree... now what?".
on 17 February 2013
So much Christianity nowadays is all about 'me'. This book helps us to become free to be who we are in God's eyes. It helps to free us from our past - our sins and our being sinned against - so we can move forward and live now.
on 19 July 2013
Great insight into how we live with ourselves in this world from a great teacher. The key: Be gospel-hungry. Very, very readable; easy to understand. A comforting message. Well worth the price and taking the time to read it. Only a few minutes. Precious.
on 14 February 2013
Pithy, short and to the point! Keep it next to your Bible. I may be the only one, but I keep coming back to this. Mr Keller is an excellent Christian writer, unreservedly recommend you read this.
on 31 May 2017
It made me know my soul is well Ahh the peace !!
Great truth to set you free from the anxieties of life
on 26 March 2013
It is a different way of looking at the way we view ourselves and turns on its head the idea that high self esteem is good and low self esteem is the cause of problems. Haven't finished it yet so may have to add more later.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 February 2017
I found this a really interesting book to read.

Timothy Keller is a good author and has such wisdom. I find his style of writing enjoyable and informative.

I would recommend this book.

*****
You are very welcome to ask any questions about my experience with this product.

If you found this review helpful, please click on the “Yes” button below.
*****
on 18 March 2017
Quite a lot of repetition for such a short book. Might have been better as a tweet - 'Think about yourself less because your value comes from God, not from performance.'
on 16 August 2012
In former days, comments Tim Keller, it was generally assumed that the root of evil was pride: having too important a view of oneself.
By contrast, nowadays it is often reckoned that the root of evil is having too low a view of oneself; and therefore much time and money is spent building up the self-esteem of people who, for whatever reason, count themselves worthless.

But in this short book (46 pages; really just an expanded sermon, and drawing considerable wisdom from CS Lewis) Keller says that neither of these approaches ultimately gives a solution. Taking verses from 1 Corinthians, he shows that high self-esteem and low self-esteem are both, in different ways, a form of pride. The thing that brings freedom is what he calls 'gospel humility'.

The 'gospel-humble' person is neither a self-hating person, not a self-loving person, but a self-forgetful person who peacefully entrusts himself to God as his judge, depending on the redeeming power of the Cross of Jesus Christ.

Because of its short length the book is not regaled with real-life stories of people with self-esteem issues. That has the virtue of keeping it succinct; however for some it may make it seem less accessible.

Nevertheless I can imagine this book being helpful for those who feel trapped in the 'depths', particularly if it were read with a gentle, loving Christian friend who can help apply the principles. But, as always with this kind of thing, the best time to read it or give it to others would be as 'preventative medicine', letting God's word shape our world-view, change our hearts, and bring peace to us and to others.