on 28 June 2013
One word from the accuser or often last Sunday’s sermon and we rush off to jump through cultural/self imposed expectation hoops and keep the plates spinning.

Why do we do it? Did God really say? Is it to do with our own identity?

Timothy Keller in ‘The Freedom of Self Forgetfulness’, sets out his theme and stays focused, without 'padding' it out with side issues.

Forget the latest spiritual program or fad. This book gets to the real issue that we can easily treat as a spiritual gift, whereas, it is sucking the life out of so many Christians.

I appreciate Timothy Keller's style in that the book is not littered with 'out of context' 'proof texts'.
on 1 June 2014
a fantastic book that challenges our core foundations. what do we build our lives on? in what do we find hope, perspective, meaning, security and aspiration. It encourages us to see that identity in anything but the grace and love of God will ultimately lead to dissatisfaction and unhappiness as we are essentially basing our lives on our fallible performance where our standards are never fully met and we live continuously in a place of condemnation and fear.
forgetting ourselves and becoming renewed and restored in the victory of Jesus' performance for us is the only place to obtain real freedom.
I wholeheartedly recommend this book to you.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 February 2017
I found this a really interesting book to read.

Timothy Keller is a good author and has such wisdom. I find his style of writing enjoyable and informative.

I would recommend this book.

You are very welcome to ask any questions about my experience with this product.

If you found this review helpful, please click on the “Yes” button below.
on 3 March 2016
Even though a lot of the things that are said in the book is things I as a Christian know already it was still an eye opener for me. The way the writer explains it just puts it all into perspective and makes it so clear how are human egos work and what we strive to achieve every single day. It is wonderful to understand again that Jesus has accomplished it all!!
on 22 January 2016
Probably the shortest book I've ever read on the subject. It's really the quickest and most effective way to tell you and succesfully make you realize that you're not the centre of the world... what???!!! Am I really not??!! All this time I've been wasting my energy maintaining that idea!... you should read this, whoever you are and whatever you believe about God
on 31 October 2014
I liked this book because I have struggled with pride for a while and Timothy Keller explains that the way to overcome both pride and inferiority complex is to simply forget about myself. I found that liberating. I will not forget the lessons learned from this book and will apply it to my life so that I can be a humble person that Jesus wants me to be.
on 23 February 2017
Amazing, this book is really fab, REALLy fab. I've now read it about 4 times and will keep reading it! It has helped me and is helping me to grow into spiritual maturity ( i hope)
on 30 July 2017
This is a great read to go back to again and again to be reminded the importance of self forgetfulness, a real and challenging read for all!
on 29 December 2012
What a helpful short book for believers and non-believers alike. To know that in Christ, God the Father looks upon us as free from guilt and the need to prove ourselves is liberating. Through Jesus Christ, we are seen as children of God by God Himself. Not only that, we are adopted by God to be His children. Timothy Keller sets this out clearly and well in this little and easy to understand book. Well worth reading and digesting.
on 5 January 2013
I think this is an excellent book because it concisely describes one of the biggest problems we are facing in this world here in the 21st century. If we look to those living in extreme poverty you will often find they are happier than we are living in a comfortable western culture, why ? I think it is because they simply get on with their lives and are not continuously thinking about themselves and their place in the scheme of life.