Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 July 2010
Dark Peak Trails is a revised and updated second edition of the original True Grit Trails book from Vertebrate Publishing. As an owner of the original book, I was pleased and surprised at just how much the new book improves upon the original.

Several new routes have been added, and many of the existing routes included have been edited and rewritten, with far superior Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 mapping. The routes are now even easier to follow, and can be quickly copied into mapping software or to a GPS device. Each route has a short introduction and information about the ride, along with altitude profile graph and useful information such as local pubs and cafes. A comprehensive turn by turn guide accompanies each map, written in a clear and concise manner.

All the routes are illustrated with excellent and inspiring photography, in a well designed and attractive layout. Along with the authors clear passion for his subject, this makes the book a pleasurable read, being written in a light hearted and informal way.

The routes themselves offer a good variety of riding, from short and relatively easy Classic rides in the fantastic Dark Peak scenery, to the tough, technical Killer loops the area is famous for. The book is a valuable guide to any mountain biker, whether new to the area, or an old hand looking for new ideas.
on 12 February 2015
An easy to use book with good directions, clear maps and other helpful things about the routes. The problem iv found that i cant believe no one has mentioned is that nearly all of the routes are variations of routes near lady bower. They are clear but after seeing a few of the routes it just takes common sense to try other tracks. 10 out of 24 maps are near or around ladybower. There are also numerous maps using mam tor and kinder scout. Not a bad little book but no where near enough variation
on 2 November 2010
I've had some of Vertebrate Publishing's books given to me before as presents, but I have to say, that with the new books I'd be happy to have splashed the cash myself.

The book is well laid out, with a "How to use this book" section at the start. I'd strongly recommend reading this before looking at any of the trail guides as it makes them much easier to work out!

For seasoned riders - I've been riding mountain bikes for nearly 20 years now, and have a good grip of map reading, but it is nice to see the maps laid out in a simple and easy to understand way. The key waypoints are marked and the trails are clear (for those of us who don't know the difference between a footpath, bridleway or B.O.A.T.).

For newbies - My fiancée is new to the sport, but has found this book an easy way to find trails and have fun doing so even without the experience of many years of map-reading.

Jon Barton has listed some of my favourite Peak District trails, but has also opened my eyes to some new and previously hidden (from me) gems.
If, like me, you live in the area, this is a useful addition to your existing knowledge. If you are planning a weekend away in the Peak District, this will give you an instant `in' to some of the best trails in the area.

If you're wondering what stocking filler to get your mountain biking other half - look no further than the Vertebrate Publishing range of books.
If you have a couple of rounds-worth of cash burning a hole in your pocket and are looking for trail inspiration - buy a Vertebrate Publishing guide.
on 18 January 2013
Another excellent guide - get the whole series and work through them, I am planning to do all of them at some point !!
on 1 January 2011
As a climber I thought I knew the dark peak, so my first forays into the peak district on the mountain bike came as somewhat of a let down, as most of my routes seem to end up on footpaths towards crags, which then seemed to make their way off sheer rock faces.
I thought I had better invest in a guide book for the area so I picked up this one, and I have to say it is ACE! and I have 'discovered' some fantastic tracks and have been able to link bits together to create some real epics.
The routes are clearly set out with detailed information including pub stops and the like, so when going out with less keen/experienced riders I can get them to chose the ride they want to do, and it puts an end to all the 'over the next hill' lies and associated arguments this book has made riding with my wife AWESOME as there are no surprises.

a must for anyone visiting the peak
on 6 October 2014
This book is fantastic,easy to follow,with some off the best trails in the uk.Beware though after 3 months this book cost me £3000(loved it so much bought a full suspension)
on 25 August 2016
Useful to find new routes in an area I know quite well. Well laid out and small enough to take with you. Only drawback is that the routes tend to be a bit short.
on 20 July 2014
Very in depth book - easy to follow and quick to reference. Got bought the North Yorks one as present and since purchased this to add to collection as so good.
on 22 December 2013
Good maps, good routes. Only downside is map scale is a little small but easily solved by using in conjunction with OS OL1. Looking forward to summer.
on 12 May 2014
This guide contains routes for some of the best mountain biking in the Peak District. Easy to follow instructions with maps. Highly recommended.