Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 May 2013
I found this book to be really refreshing. Carla McKay's account of her introduction to Yoga is honest, funny and very relate-able. I found the history lesson fascinating, and those that want an accurate concise overview of the practise of Yoga will enjoy it too.

The most interesting theme within the book however, is her personal transition from total sceptic to full believer, the manner to which this is told had me laughing out load.

Ultimately this is a great little book that is packed with the facts you want, whilst telling a personal story in a really authentic way.

Well worth a read.
on 30 July 2013
I have only recently attended some yoga classes and this book was an encouragement to do so. I am now committed to doing some of the yoga positions each day, to help strengthen core and enable greater flexibility.
on 30 September 2013
I got bored almost immediately with this book. I was hoping to read a story about how an unhealthy, exercise-disinclined individual (rather like myself) got into yoga. The protagonist begins her journey into yoga by... getting extensive plastic surgery and going on an expensive yoga retreat abroad? I'm not sure this really sends the message that yoga can be for anyone.
on 16 June 2013
This book inspired me to look into yoga and meditation on the web, being disabled I thought it would be impossible but the is lots for people who can't stand/bend by doing some 'siting'. I am still struggling to get to grips with meditation, groups might be better but it is hard to get out , this book inspired me to persever !
on 19 August 2013
Beautifully written....an easy style of writing you feel you are listening to your best friend over a coffee or a large glass of wine....proof Yoga is not just for the super waif model or vegan film star.
on 21 March 2013
My wife started doing yoga about a year ago and I noticed that she started looking good. I gave her this book for Valentine's day as a joke, because I tease her about how she hasn't changed her lifestyle. She made me read the chapter on yoga for men and it made me read the other chapters too (on my kindle haha).
on 16 April 2013
Didn`t find it as informative as I would have wished regarding the basics of Yoga, although it could be the spur needed to actually `dip my toe in the water`.
Little too bogged down with phraseology - which the the uninformed - means little or nothing.
Still well worth a read.
on 20 February 2015
I'm not new to yoga and this book wasn't what I expected it to be and, to be honest, I got rather bored towards the end. I was expecting it to be far more about the author's personal experiences of yoga and how it enhanced her life but there was too much about everything and everybody else connected with the history of yoga and yoga quacks which I didn't find interesting.
on 27 February 2016
I'm about half way through this book, I've found it to be a well written book. The author has researched the different types of yoga as well as the limbs of yoga. She explains mediation and breathing techniques well. As I say I'm about half way through and loving it. This is yoga for all, each and every one of us. I will probably update once finished. But loving the author's writing style, she's warm and informative.
on 21 March 2013
I read Carla McKay's front-page piece about yoga in the Daily Mail which was very funny - and got the book which is even better and more informative. I had never thought about doing yoga. If you are a dyed in the wool yoga nut, this book is not for you. Carla hasn't stopped drinking wine with her friends, or changed her diet (that much). The only people I know who do it tend to be slightly nutty. But reading Carla's book and how she felt better, lost weight, slept better, looked younger I am looking to give it a try. What is not to like! The story how she was reunited with her husband was quite touching. She doesn't make a direct link with yoga, but I bet it had a lot to do with it.