on 25 February 2009
he blunt title is not just an attention getter for this book, but a statement of fact. Butler truly describes how bad things have gotten in the UK under current Labour government led by Gordon Brown. While many of the problems began under Blair he explains how they have accelerated under the current Prime Minister.

The book sets out to detail all the various aspects of life that have worsened under Labour ranging from personal freedom thru taxation to the most basic provisions of health in the NHS. Dr Butler effectively prepares anyone who wishes to perforate the continued assertion that Britain is in its current state because of Conservative administration that ended over a decade ago.

He details the insidious nature of the politicalization by the Labour Party of all parts of the bureaucracy of British governance. Instead of unelected faceless bureaucrats there are party apparatchniks meddling in every aspect to make sure it meets with the Labour plan for Britain. In the greatest of ironies all those things that were criticized by Labour in opposition have been seized on an amped up under Labour.

A crumbling economy, infrastructure and place in the world continues to demonstrate Labour course to repeat the disasters of Labour controlled 1970s.

This book is both enlightening and wholly depressing for those who admire the UK. New Labour promised so much only to deliver far worse.

While Dr. Butler is not that keen on the current Conservative solution to New Labour, he does offer sage advice to all those willing to consider his ideas. If the Conservatives adopted his plan for their next manifesto they might have a good chance of sorting out the current mess.
on 11 December 2009
This is a scathing attack on the twelve years under the Labour government. It clearly and simply shows how everyone's legal rights have virtually been eliminated. Also, how tax payer's money has been used inefficiently. The mountains of costly time consuming red tape added to the workload. This book is a must read to see how so much could be wasted by so few for so many. It won't leave the reader feeling good (depressed springs to mind) but you will be informed. So much has happened in the last twelve years to undermine our basic freedoms and well being which is so well illustrated in this book. Buy it you will not be disappointed!
on 26 September 2009
I'm not sure what to make of this book! While I don't disagree with the facts and figures as presented in the text, Butler's concentration on attacking New Labour seems to only look narrowly at the problems we face as a nation. All of the things he complains about, from over-centralisation of power to the assault on our liberties, have come about over the last thirty years. Both the main parties have followed, more or less, the same policies, but he does not seem to recognise this. He doesn't analyse the changes to British society over the last forty or so years, and how this might affect how we see ourselves, neither does he understand the rise of consumerism, where we become consumers and customers, and not citizens. All these things are important, yet he ignores them. Then there are even deeper aspects to our consciousness, like our shared language and culture with the US and our hostility to non-English speaking Europe, where a different way of thinking has emerged, and where the ethos of the enlightenment endures.

The book simply doesn't go into these areas, and I find this frustrating, for I don't actually feel that he offers any real constructive way forward for policy- and decision-makers let alone the voting citizens. All in all, a disappointment
on 13 April 2009
If you care about Britain. You need to read this. With relentless analysis and careful explanation,levened by dry wit and humour Dr Butler sets out clearly the threats to our liberties,public services and prosperity in Britain today. David Cameron should make it required reading for every member of the shadow cabinet. I could not put it down once I started reading it and although I was familiar with the events it describes, it is the sharp focus on the systemic damage which has been wrought, which makes it such an illuminating and devastating critique.
on 10 September 2009
A very revealing insight into the crazy, politically correct world of New Labour spin and the damage it has done to this country.

Previous Conservative governments are also criticised although only on failings that were carried forward by Labour. The title of the book implies that Britain became rotten as a result of one decade of Gordon Brown as chancellor and prime minister. The reality is that most of the author's concerns were not caused in the last decade, but have their roots several decades in the past. The selfishness of the 80's, the industrial unrest of the 70's and the permissiveness of the 60's are all largely ignored and yet are all major reasons for the rotten state of Britain today.

A major negative point for me is that the book is written in the style of a political columnist - chatty and informal with poorly constructed sentences - when I think the subject matter deserves more weight and authority. This is a shame because the book has been well researched.

Overall I cannot recommend this book in spite of how much I agree with the sentiment behind it.
on 31 August 2014
I found this book both enlightening and depressing it only confirmed what I already new and I can see no way forward for our country at the moment, hopefully after the referendum for Scotland and a general election there may be hope for improvement. The author of this book should be taking an active part in politics and not just pen to paper but for those who read this book perhaps it will make them sit up and take notice. Why did we sit back and let this country fall into such disarray under the Blair Brown government?
I do take an active role in politics and did not condone their action
on 23 May 2015
This is a really excellent book. It is well researched and is also both entertaining and shocking. Why are these things not widely known. We have recently had a general election and the public should h ave been given this book as compulsory reading rather than the trite election information and debates we were fed by the political and chattering class. I would have liked to see some of the solutions explained better and perhaps debated but nonetheless they provoked much thought that will be with me for a long time.
on 27 December 2010
Very informative, a frightening indictment of just how our politicians cannot be trusted with money and doing what is right for this country. Although it refers to a previous government I suspect the overall incompetence is being passed on into the future.
I wanted to know what was rotten and why this rot had been allowed to set in and to try to compare the authors views with what I thought wrong. The book did this succinctly and in a very readable manner. The book also illustrates how this country has been cheated out of its birthright and the contemptuous way the voting public has been unknowingly manipulated.
on 20 October 2014
This book is a must read for anyone who is thinking about voting for Mr Milliband as it details the horrendous waste of money and opportunity during Gordon Brown's premiership.It is always fascinating and is extremely well written and I would recommend it to anyone interested in politics.
on 16 September 2014
Rather a morbid read, but the truth often is. Well put together