Customer reviews

Nature of Snowdonia: A Beginner's Guide to the Upland Environment
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 December 2012
I bought this immediately after doing a Mountain Leader Refresher course recently at Plas Y Brenin (where the author works as a senior instructor).

I'd been traipsing round with five others all day, training to be a mountain leader. Every so often our instructor would stop and ask us to comment on some aspect of the environment. I hadn't realised how much other people knew about the grasses, mosses, lichens etc that surround us in the mountains. When I asked for recommendations for a single volume the reply was unanimous.

What I like most is that it takes the reader through the mountain environment season by season, so you don't waste time trying to identify a plant by its flower when it's out of season, for example.

It's a great starting point and Mike directs the reader to further sources of information and identification techniques (see also his articles on this subject on the PYB website under 'Free stuff').

I don't particularly like the cover design but the contents are spot on. If you need a quick fix to plug a gap in your knowledge then this is the one-stop solution.
on 4 October 2016
Fantastic book! Really informative and interesting. Great for anyone who visits snowdonia a lot. Essential for any wanna be ML like myself. A top quality book!
on 13 March 2014
This book was better than I expected as I had wanted to buy it for a while but the cover just put me off, it's non-interesting.
However the inside is very informative loaded with information and I will take it on my next weekend in Wales which will be very soon having into account the amount of weekends I spend there.
on 21 April 2012
I picked this up to help me sharpen on the environmental side of my Mountain Leader Assessment, highly recommended!

It's easy to just pick up and have a flick through to remind yourself of the different plants, rocks, animals etc, and gives a short description of uses, Latin name, and other little facts. Has a nice extra bit on Myths and legends in the back as well.
on 11 May 2016
A great, interesting and informative book for anyone who loves the raw nature of Snowdonia and has visited it regularly enough to recognise the content described.
on 12 November 2013
Really good book, easy to follow and good picture to identify what you see on the hills. The book is broken down into easy to follow chapters.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is going to do there Mountain leader assessment, or just in general to know more about the Nature/ environment.
on 5 October 2012
I bought this book to give me some background info before I spend a few day on gaining Mountain experience for by ML Assessment next year. The book is great value; hard bound and very well presented. The contents are laid out clearly and in some depth, making excellent reading. A must for anyone contemplating walking in Scotland.
on 29 May 2014
This book has lots of information to make anyone's stay in Snowdonia a much more interesting experience,it has already paid for itself with the help it gave me on a recent course.Delivery good Packaging good.
on 1 February 2016
Excellent, just what I needed. Clear and concise information about the nature of Snowdonia and will definitely make my time in the mountains more interesting.
on 23 July 2013
This has amazing pictures and is a really lovely book, it arrived promptly and was well packaged. It would make a great present for any lovers of Wales!