on 9 May 2017
I am learning a great deal about the Swiss and Switzerland. I have visited the country many times.
It's just beautiful! I feel as if I know the country and its people a little bit better now. I haven't finished
reading the book yet. So I look forward to finding out more.
on 31 March 2017
bOOOOORRRIng - tons of boring stereotypical stuff - don't waste ur time
on 14 December 2008
Brilliant book. Hilarious. Unlike many other authors of this series, the punchlines keep coming to finish off the facts. I'm not sure if the Swiss have more odd characteristics or if this author simply knows his subject better, but the book is exactly what the series should be: informative and a laugh-a-page. It may hurt a Swiss person's feelings but so did the equally good one on the English until I got over that and found it hilarious and true.
on 1 December 2000
I really enjoyed Xenophobe's Guide To The Swiss. It kept me laughing but well informed all the way through. I found it to be a very thorough reference to the Swiss. Without being too long and drawn out. I particularly liked the sections on "The Bells" and "Dental Holidays". I liked this book so much I want to send a copy to my whole family.
on 15 April 2005
Pinpoint accuracy including all the little nuances that you hardly notice. This book you re-read, after spending any time in Switzerland, and find yourself nodding in agreement whilst still enjoying the humour with which it is written. The humour is genuine and not aggressive or truly xenophobic like some other 'so called' cultural guides.
Essential reading and pocket sized for real handiness.
Going to Switzerland? Get this book!
on 28 March 2009
Having visited Switzerland last week and many times previously over the last 30 years (as a tourist). I found Paul Biltons book fascinating and so very amusing. Every chapter portrays the reality of life there without any malice. I laughed every time I opened the book and only wish that I had read it many years ago. By the way, I do admire the Swiss and their beautiful country and only wish that the Brits could be as well organised and successful!
on 27 October 2012
I have read most of the books in the series about Western Europe, and I agree with other reviewers that this one is among the best, along with those about England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland (the publisher's home turf). My only criticism is that the author doesn't seem to know well enough other European countries and often describes as typically Swiss things that are in fact exactly the same in other Germanic countries or even in France. This is the case of recycling (p.29-30), disposable fees for household electric items (p.31), gutters that are made of not in plastic but in metal (p.33), or high-quality bus stops (p.34). Other things are an extension of the German system, like gardening or washing the car prohibited on Sunday (p.18), or baths prohibited between 10 pm and 7 am (p.80).
on 12 April 2013
In order to get an idea of the accuracy of the series, I orderd along with the books for Spain and Portugal, also the book about my home country, Switzerland. In general it is an enjoyable read, and while many facts are true, and the peculiarities pointed out nicely, I must say, that there are certain things mentioned in this book, that are outdated and/or partially ore completely untrue (especially the sections: Behaviour & Manners, Eating and Drinking, and Police and Crime), and thus must be read selectively.

However for the price, and under the condition that not everything in the book is taken literally, i can recommend it.
on 6 August 2001
The author manages to sum up every aspect of the Swiss with a typical British sense of humour! Having lived in Switzerland for some time now - this book was still able to teach me some idiosyncrasies of the Swiss I didnt know. If you want to find out who what where why and how the Swiss do things - read this book. Essential reading for the smallest room in the house.
on 25 July 2013
I note with interest that the single one star review on here is by somebody Swiss who was hurt by the comments. I can’t help but think that that reviewer has missed the point of the book. It has been written with genuine love and affection; sort of how I would rip my little brother over his grey hair.

Amongst many things, the book celebrates how Switzerland became rich without any real natural resources. There are constant argument in England where I live that everybody should speak English, but the Swiss have proved that language barriers are something that are easily overcome. Switzerland should celebrate the fact it is a safe and beautiful country. I think the book does get over their paranoia. It is witty, humorous and well-written.