on 23 July 2016
As a person fascinated with Finnish culture, I love this little book. It's unbelievable how well it catches Finns personality.

It is also hilarious. And by that I mean that if you know any actual Finns, there are some bits in that book that will simply make you laugh out loud, because they are so true.

It is not a typical guide book, but if you like a good laugh and you are willing to take some things written in it with a pinch of salt, you will like it. I know I did ;)
on 14 February 2015
As a Scot living in Finland for the last 4 years I have grown to love and fully embrace this wonderful land of enigmas, torn between two worlds I'll write the first part of this review in a British style and the second part in a Finnish style :
1) In my opinion this book isn't a collection of hackneyed stereotypes but instead documents empirical evidence which will provide anyone visiting Finland or even meeting a Finn with the perfect vantage point with which to gain an insight into their culture and mindset ( they'll never express it themselves ) and all with a dash of the usual dry wit and self deprecating humour. If you want to wrap your head around them without going Lawrence of Arabia style like me, read this book. Brilliant !
2) .................Succinct.............Good.
on 25 July 2013
To quote Monty Python: Finland, Finland, Finland, the country where I want to be. You're so sadly neglected, and often ignored, a poor second to Belgium, when going abroad.

Finland is one of the few European countries I’ve yet to visit, but years ago my flatmate was Finnish and this guide sums her up to a tee. She was an awful cook and often I would come home from work to find the kitchen full of steam. Having read this, I would now suggest that it was her obsession with sauna!
on 12 May 2013
I'm off to stay with a friend near Helsinki this summer so I thought I'd buy this little guide to the Finns.

It's pitched as a witty comment on Finnish stereotypes and on the whole delivers, although it's obvious that, in parts, the Finns would get more from the author's attempts at wit than those unaccustomed to Finland or the Finns like myself.

A nice introduction but it's essential to delve deeper.
on 21 September 2017
A good tongue in cheek look at Finland and the Finn's there national behaviours their education system their obsession with the sauna there love of the outdoors and perhaps there most unsettling one for "Anglo Saxons" they don't do small talk especially on the weather
on 17 November 2015
Really funny book that really understands the viewpoint of your everyday Finn. My only drawback would be that it's quite a short book, which I finished within a night, but as a gift for someone Finnish (Or who just plain likes Finland) then it's a great buy!
on 30 March 2018
Not particularly deep but fun introduction to Finns and customs
on 26 November 2017
It was very funny to read. It is not too inaccurate according to my Finnish girlfriend. It has provided us with good conversation and laughs.
on 2 August 2013
I can warmly recommend this book to anyone who has contact with Finnish people, or anyone who has Finnish origins (and may be wondering why he is the way he is). The author has really hit the nail on the head in her observations, and although she may be exaggerating some things, she never lies. What's more, she's very funny. All my friends have loved the book.
on 7 January 2017
Ordered as a present for someone going to Finland, only flicked through but seemed a good mixture of information and amusement.