Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 December 2010
Having grown up near Lismore where Dervla Murphy is from I was always aware of her as a shadowy, enigmatic presence in the town. Murphy went on from her Waterford origins to become a legendary, pioneering travel writer. On her trusty bicycle, Roz, she made incredible journeys, often alone or later with her young daughter.

Wheels Within Wheels is the story of her early years when such adventures were often dreamed of but rarely realised. It is an intimate portrait of an independent childhood, a sometimes painful family life and a novel-worthy love affair.

My familiarity with the places of Dervla's youth probably did increase my enjoyment of this book but, even without that insight, I think it's a remarkable read.
on 10 February 2011
A simply remarkable Irish woman, not simply because of what she has acheved in her lifetime, but in her attitude to just about everything, and in her abillity to describe her experiences in her writing. I first read her work 20 years ago and just re-read it recently. Being that bit older myself now, I am even more overawed by what she has acheievd (so far) and by her determination and good humour in situations that the average person would NEVER, ever, be able to cope with. Start with this book as it explains a lot about the circumstances, that made the woman behind, (in my opinion), Irelands greatest and most remarkable traveller.
on 26 March 2013
I loved this inner journey of dervla murphy's....she is rich and generous in the way she recalls and tells of her life. to be honest I did not want it to end. Perhaps all the caring she had to do in her childhood lead to the richness of her eventual travels by way of appreciation. But mostly I loved how she has been true to herself and determined in her vocation.
on 19 August 2012
Fantastic! I know she's Irish and,by definition, must be slightly batty but this woman has guts. Her descriptive passages of the Himalayas, Afghanistan and India rise above the deprivations she saw and suffered, and her admiration for the poverty stricken peasantry who afforded unstinting hospitality.
on 21 July 2014
Great writer, I just dont know how to express my admiration for Dervla, If I still believed in all that, I would nominate her for Sainthood, the patron saint of fearlessness, did they cannonise people for that? i love her
on 19 March 2015
A superbly written book. An example for all who appreciate beautiful English.
on 13 July 2015
A lady who makes the tour de france look pedestrian by comparison
on 30 September 2015
Interesting autobiography of this intrepid Irish traveller
on 28 July 2015
A wonderful account of a wonderful life.
on 15 February 2015
A brilliant book. Thoughtful.