Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 October 2011
I've been a follower of Depeche Mode since hearing 'Speak & Spell' being blasted
out of a friends ghetto blaster in early 1982. So, I just had to get this book!

The book sets the scene in 1970's Basildon with a melting pot of Bowie freaks; soul boys; beer boys and punks, who turned 'electric' when Tubeway Army and the early Human League albums hit the shelves. There is background information on Gahan; Gore; Clarke and Fletcher's teenage years and influences, leading up to the start of Depeche Mode. This information has been gathered by the author interviewing people that were/are friends of the band and people in the music industry that helped Depeche get the worldwide recognition that they deserved. This book also covers the birth and early years of Mute records. The author has decided to interview people directly and steer clear of rehashing old articles from the press or previous books.

It is interesting to find out that Martin L Gore listened to delta blues rebel: Robert Johnson as well as Throbbing Gristle and there was also the time that Phil Spector and Depeche Mode crossed paths. The book ends on 'Black Celebration' and hopefully Simon Spence will write a sequel to this intriguing, informative and enjoyable read that answers many questions about Depeche Mode's formative and
later years.
on 26 February 2014
It's always difficult writing reviews, as those who really rate a book will never agree with those who don't.

Taking a break from my usual genre, I have been catching up on nostalgia by reading biographies of musicians from the 80s.

I bought this book on the recommendation of a full house of 5 stars, but was not that impressed, especially when comparing it to the other biographies I have read to date.

The first 30% or so of this book is a social history of new towns. Had I wanted this much information on new towns I would have bought a book on the subject.

I also found the book a very long winded way of giving basic information, with several pages used where a single paragraph would have sufficed. It is also very repetitive in parts.

I appreciate there are many people involved with the story of Depeche Mode, and most do get a mention, but there are times where it is easy to get lost and you have to re-read parts to try and work out who said what.

I haven't read the other offerings on Depeche Mode yet, and this may well be the best book on the subject, but the style of the author is just not to my taste.
on 7 December 2014
As a Barstable Comprehensive pupil myself ( I lived across the road from 'Jod's', and Gary Harsent was in my class), this book has been a trip down memory lane. I had forgotten the name of the record stall that everyone got their 45's from, and I did frequent the Burger bar outside Raquel's on a Satuday evening, but coming from Basildon, you learnt pretty early on when trouble was brewing and moved. Even the 'Double Six' pub, in a bid to smarten itself, up was renamed 'The Flying Childers'. Unfortunately, the glass throwing never stopped (endemic at that pub) and was collquially referred to as 'The Flying Bottle'.
In addition, I recall the early days of Depeche Mode's success, as Dave Gahan moving up the social scale could be seen roaring round in his Porsche up Langdon Hills (posh bit of Bas). Everyone thought it was great, no one that I knew ever envied his success ; we were all just pleased for 'one of ours' to have made it.
Thanks for the read. I for one can vouch that the research is impeccable!
on 15 January 2013
As a fan of Depeche Mode since 1989 & the owner of all the other books written on them, I wasn't expecting to read anything in here that I hadn't before. How wrong was I? This book covers all the time that Depeche were not on my musical radar and comes up with some very revealing insights. If you are a fan of the band & their music, buy and read this book immediately.
on 27 January 2012
Probably the best Depeche Mode book to be released so far ...! Recommended reading for all "Mode fans."

Pity it only goes as far as the Black Celebration album. Lets hope there will be a follow up (Simon?)
on 21 June 2014
As a fan I found this book a fascinating read. Author spends a most of time explaining Basildon's life and history, interviewing band members' childhood friends, co-workers and musicians who were starting their careers at the same time, showing all the background that made Depeche Mode become what they had become. Highly recommended.
on 29 April 2014
I choosed this book basing on recommendation in the Internet. It was referred to as a book focused on early days of DM and it distinguishes this work from other biographies. This is true. There is a lot of information about Basildon from its beginning for instance. It helps to see a context of formation of the band. I think it would be interesting to fans and to those who are curious about evolution of pop music in general. For example in connection with social and political topics
on 4 September 2014