on 20 August 2008
As a new author, Penalver is more than comfortable amongst his contemporaries. In Search of an Angel may be his first fiction but it certainly won't be his last. His re-creation of the kaleidoscopic sights and sounds of Essex, the serenity of life in Europe and the love a man has for his friends and family, is entirely convincing. Honest and heartfelt to the last word, Penalver is a highly skillful writer as his subtle story absorbs the reader into a story of the struggle for one man to solve the conundrum of his life.

I can only hope that the character of Steve Bidante isn't biographical as Penalver has created a turbulent and tormented life and made it into one of the most thrilling books ever to be released.

Expect tears of joy as well as sadness as you embark on Penalver's rollercoaster of love, death, heroicism and intrigue.

I am sure I won't be alone in the eager anticipation of Penalver's next offering.
on 9 May 2010
The captivating and soul-searching story of Steve Bidante, an ordinary guy with an extraordinary gift! Grounded in the everyday reality of familiar-sounding friendships, Steve finds himself driven by the fascination of his visions and dreams. He may think his quest a lonely one, but every step of the way he is accompanied by the reader on this magical journey of spiritual discovery. Martin Penalver bares his soul in the telling of an enchanting tale, inviting the reader to open their mind to the possibility that there is more to this life than we believe. No reader is likely to remain untouched for, as we tune into our own emotions, we find ourselves transported to the celestial realms of angels. May the journey never end!

Julia Duncan
on 1 February 2008
An incredible book. I sat back one evening to begin reading In search of an Angel. Hours later and hearing the birds singing, I had to put the book down. The next day I found myself thinking about Steve Bidante and wondering what would happen. My social life ceased until I finished the book and I can honestly say it had everything. My emotions awoke throughout the book as I cried, laughed,felt moved, felt sad and happy. Penalver writes in a wonderful, yet realistic way which the reader can relate to and 'feel' That is a true talent indeed. The story is wonderful, tragic, magical and spirtual, led by twist and turns that make this one of the best books I can remember reading. A must have. Mr Penalver, I cannot wait for your next work.
on 28 November 2007
The best selling author Joe McGinniss (Fatal vision, The selling of the President) blurbs Penalvers debut book as 'auspicious.' I couldnt agree more. In Search of an Angel is Penalvers account of a small child coming to terms with the tragedy of losing both parents in a car crash. During the transfornmation from boy to man the tragedy is never far away in Steve Bidante's mind. Penalver writing style is a mixture of Frank Mccourt (Angelas Ashes) and Paulo Coelho (The Alchemist)

Penalvers style is highly readable, written in the first person he skilfully and cleverley jumps between the thoughts of Steve Bidante the eleven year old child and Bidante as an adult. It is the thought patterns of that eleven year old child that moved me the most especially at his parents funeral. The child is confused and at the same time unsure of how he should behave. Penalver delivers the scene wonderfully from the childs perspective relatively early in the book. It sets the book up nicely making the reader want to read on. The remainder of the book doesn't dissapoint climaxing a very special ending. An excellent debut Mr Penalver something for everyone.
on 19 July 2008
What an astonishing debut.No rhetoric, i have not picked up a book and not been able to put it down for a very long time, cliche aside i was blown away. A real, meaningful, thought provoking story. A rich array of characters that fill up and leap out of the pages as if it were unfolding in front of you. It feels as though you are looking through the eyes of a soul with an amazing innocence, a real look at how the world could or possibly should be,there are signposts everywhere,perhaps we must try to find our own and get on the right path! This book will resonate with many if not all of us.
Thank you for your time and effort martin,a fantastic read
on 1 August 2008
What can I say other than wow! this book captivated me from cover to cover I am not really a book reader but read this in 4 days and loved it.
I couldn't wait to see what happened to Steve next so many things in the book I could relate to personally it had me laughing and crying and living locally I could vision all the places he was at.
I can't wait for the next book Martin and thanks.
on 25 January 2010
In Search of an Angel

A beautifully written, thought provoking debut novel by Martin Penalver, a name that I will certainly be looking out for!!!! This is a spiritually inspiring story of love and hope that took merely hours to read and left me itching to start the sequeal "The ticking of the clock".
on 16 July 2013
In Search of an Angel... This is the first ever book that I have ever read about Angels, and wasn't too sure that I would be able to either understand or enjoy such a story, but I have to say it only took a few chapters for me to be wanting to read on.

Penalver has managed to write about his childhood, upbringing and thoughts and emotions so simply, yet in a heartening way. I felt that I was with him as child, wanting to hold his hand from the beginning and at many times further on in his story. He has written this is in
In Search Of An Angel (Laws of the Angel Trilogy- Book One)such a knowledged way which shows his dedication of his passion of Angels and the history that surrounds them.

Enchanting.....
Absolutely fantastic book - easy read, inspiring, funny, soul searching but most of all obviously written from the heart...

Fully recommend to anyone who likes a real life, soul inspiring read
on 16 February 2008
In Search of an Angel is simply a great book. After the first page I wanted to read more and after that I could not put it down. My husband got used to me "having an early night with Steve!" (Bidante) although I was then disappointed when I finished the book as I didn't want it to end.
The way it is written is clever and witty but not so wordy that it is hard work to read it. It really flows and there is something about the character of Steve that every reader will relate to. As strange as it sounds he seemed to have lived a little bit of my life. The story is compelling and the ending just what the reader wants. A simply great book.