on 15 August 2013
I purchased this in my local bookshop, hence this isn't an Amazon verified purchase.

This Guide really is brilliant and full credit to the author, Jim Manthorpe for creating a really useful pocket-sized guidebook.

Packed full of useful information from where to stay, to where to eat, the guide's real value is in that the author has clearly spent some time both walking the route and sitting down and answering the questions that most of us really need answered - basic, but important things like - where to eat, where's the nearest cash machine, pharmacy and so forth to detailed route maps. Which, are easy to follow and easy to read.

I'm quiet familiar with the South Downs as I run a cycle hire business covering the area (coastal cycles) and I've found this guide incredibly useful, even though I'm relatively familiar with the area.

Yes, as others have highlighted - things change with the passage of time - and you need to check to see whatever is recommended is still there. For example, sadly and much to my disappointment Arundel Youth Hostel was sold earlier this year (2013) and is now in new ownership and has been re-opened as the Sussex Heritage Christian Centre.

Other things have changed also - as you'd expect no longer are some bus routes running and so forth - but this is to be expected with any published book. But obviously the main information hasn't changed, which is the route and towns and villages along the way.

One thing to note about this route it follows very popular tourist/visitor area - for example, Goodwood with it's festivals of Speed and Goodwood Revival both are huge crowd pullers - 125,000 visitors for the weekends and this puts huge strain on local accommodation. So if you're planning a trip, check to make sure you don't clash with these events as either you'll find accommodation isn't available, or if it is, expect to pay handsomely for a night's bed and breakfast.

All in all a really great book with lots of useful and interesting information.

Highly recommended.
on 17 June 2014
I have just returned from walking this path , West to East. I used Jim Manthorpe's book and frankly you don't need anything else. The maps are excellent (one or to items to be added when it updates) and I found most of his recommendations on Pubs and places to stay to be accurate.

I would certainly recommend this book to anyone considering the walk. I'd also recommend the walk itself, it goes through some outstanding countryside.
on 15 June 2013
A well written book with detailed sketch map. Very informative and from someone who has actually experienced walking the route
on 25 March 2013
Excellent book.Full of detail and general information and sets out the walk as west to east which is how we are tackling it.
on 26 April 2015
First time SDW walkers, buy it. I've read many of the South Down Way books and this is one of the best for a first timer. Solid maps and guidance but also good advice on how to plan overnight stops. Guides to flora and fauna and a generally healthy obsession with beer (fairly common for SDW writers it seems). A good read as well as a great guide.
on 10 July 2013
I recommend this as an very informative guide. However, some of the updates re accommodation and public transport are already outdated so double check these.
on 1 November 2014
Absolutely clear, no problem to use on its own (as others have already noted), even in the dark!
on 18 March 2013
This is the third book of Jim Manthorpes we have used, having walked Hadrian`s Wall in 2010 and The Cotswold Way last year. As a group of 10 we have found them very easy to follow and very informative. I hope the end of this walk is easier to find than the end of our previous two walks!
on 22 October 2014
One of the clearest and best detailed guides about the South Downs Way. Thoroughly recommended.
on 19 October 2015
Product is exactly what I wanted and has proven to be as good as I wanted it to be.