on 16 January 2015
He makes recommendations that sound good but that have not ben fully researched.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 July 2011
An excellent book. It starts with the preparation and planning. Then gives insights into touring around the world. Not much on UK though. Then anecdotes from others. A very interesting read with lots of tips. I am experienced and still got something from this book - Good investment.
on 7 May 2011
We've owned both editions of this book, and it's a great reference guide for any bike tourist but especially those who want to explore off the beaten path. It starts with a good overview of the gear you need and moves on to profiles of all the key cycling regions in the world, plus lots of stories from other bike tourists. Great material for fueling the dreams and plans for your next big bike tour.
on 28 August 2012
Having just done 2 car trips from Brittany to St Tropez ( some 1100kms each way)in plus 30° heat and endless kms stuck behind caravans and lorry s, I began to think how nice it would be to do the trip on a cycle and take in all that beautiful scenery, so much that is missed behind the wheel of a car ; So on my finale return oiled up my old 10 speed racer, brought a helmet, and jumped on to find out if my totally unfit 62year old beer bellied body was still up to it. Well after 2 weeks of every evening doing short up hill rides, i think i am up to doing a not to distant trip; So I thought that i had better go on Amazon and find out what books are available on the subject and this is the first one that came up, and what a choice!; The book is split into 3 parts ,the first, what kit to buy, secondly, what routes to take, and the third, inspirational tales from cyclists who have traveled all over the world including counties that i wouldnt or would be seen dead in!!.
Well it wasn't quite the book i was looking for for my gentle amble through France,but what the heck, with retirement looming, what a way to spend it!!.
Brilliant book!, doubt if i will ever be able to afford all the kit recomended; but all those adventures have realy got my legs working, cant get off my bike now!!; Great service by amazon, 3 days to France.
on 26 June 2013
The best book I have read on cycle touring with up to date and relevant infomation. I read it from cover to cover when it arrived and it answered several queries and questions that I had and now sits on my coffee table and I find that I continually dip into it.
on 1 January 2015
I've cycled from England to India, Mongolia, Nepal and numerous shorter tours. I bought a copy of this book because it provides coherence amidst the huge amount of information that is now available out there, and makes it manageable enough to be able to be useful and entertaining without being patronising or overwhelming. The contributions and stories from travellers give credibility and different perspectives. Highly recommended.
on 15 August 2012
This is a "Must" read for anyone taking up cycle
touring.It's an informative insight in what you'll really need to cycle tour most parts of the World.

I found the experience of the author ,helpful in deciding my bike & camping gear,as well as, other great tips I would not have thought of-
especially country specifics in regards to bike touring.

In all,it's concise, practical & easy to read.
on 4 March 2013
Authentic feel to text and very informative. You would not really take this book with you when travelling by bicycle but it is great for planning and dipping into sections as required. Small sections desrcribing personal experiences is an added bonus.
on 30 April 2013
I found this book very full of brilliant ideas from a guy that has done a lot of touring and knows his stuff The book makes you want to Leave your job Pack your tent & butties and pedal off to see the world
on 4 June 2016
A very interesting read. I bought this book before I began a year long cycle tour from South Easy Asia to Europe. It was good to read to get some insight into it but really, if you intend to do a tour of that length, you'd need a lot more than this book! In terms of knowing what to carry and what you might need, it proved to be somewhat useful. However, as with trips of this type, you tend to learn more about what you will need along the way and adapt to that. This book is a good place to start but there are probably better resources out there for serious tourers.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse