on 8 October 2017
Absolutely first class book. Very entertaining read with clear explanations of all types of cheeses. Even if I did not make any cheese (although I shall) the book is a good read!
Thanks to Paul Peacock.
on 4 October 2017
Perfect, what I was looking for. Good intro about cheese, it's components and the basics of making it. Many varied nice recipes.
on 17 October 2017
easy to follow, not read all yet, but is amazing.
on 2 May 2017
Bought as a gift. Very good cheese made and eaten!
on 5 May 2017
Very helpful book.
on 23 April 2017
Petfect
on 17 July 2012
I bought this based on reviews of others and as a complete cheesemaking novice. There is enough information given to produce cheese and on that basis I think it is a good purchase. I have only made cheddar so far and although I had a few questions during the production process it would seem, from the end result, that the instructions given are adequate if you also apply common sense.
on 4 September 2012
I bought this book, by chance, as I had no idea whatsoever, of where to start, with regards to cheesemaking.
Within four weeks, I made two seperate lots of Cheddar cheese. The first one, which I have just tasted, is most certainly a very passable cheese indeed.
Paul takes you through each stage, with words of simpathy. It is almost as though he is there with you, step by step and stage by stage. He covers subjects like, the history, how to, what you need and what various ingredient do, and why?
The book also includes, a huge variety of cheeses. Cheeses to suit all palettes from the mildest, all the way through to, potentially, the strongest.
I cannot speak more highly of the book. Although, if I were to have any critisism, at all, then it would be that, there are no recommended suppliers or resources. But then, that is only nit-picking.
An excellent book, for all levels of ability.
on 5 November 2016
This book is of value if you have attended a cheesemaking course first otherwise it will just baffle you. The major problem though is that it is missing all the common cheeses you really want to make at home e.g. Brie, camembert. The book defines them as soft cheeses but in the soft cheeses section it only deals with spreads such as Boursin or cottage cheese. Essentially that makes the book pretty pointless because, trust me, you really want to start with those cheeses which only takes weeks rather than years to mature.
on 29 November 2012
only a third of the book was actual cheese making recipes, a third of the book were recipes using the cheese that you had made and the final third was all about cheese processes. I would have like more recipes for hard cheese and parmesan, which, although mentioned in a very small passage did not feature in the index at all. Having said all this the book is good value for £9.99