Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 May 2012
I bought this having zero knowledge of cheesemaking hoping it would be a good beginners book but found that it lacked in giving a good understanding of how different cheeses are made as well as lacking in precise instruction for a novice.
For example, 1 sachet of mesophilic starter is called for at the start of most recipes but the sachet I bought is enough for 100 litres of milk! A few more paragraphs explaining about starters would have made the world of difference.
Blue Stilton calls for the curds to be "washed" (whatever a wash is) with a 100ml Penicillium roqueforti solution while other Blue cheeses the Penicillium roqueforti is mixed at the start with the milk and starter. Why? Some are left for 45 minutes after adding rennet, some for an hour. Some are heated to 30° initially, others to 34°. I can follow recipes but without an explanation of what I'm doing I will never really understand how to make cheese.
When I have some more experience and understanding then maybe it'll be a good book to return to for recipes but for now I'll have to move to cheesemaking forums.
11 Comment| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2012
I bought this book, by chance, as I had no idea whatsoever, of where to start, with regards to cheesemaking.
Within four weeks, I made two seperate lots of Cheddar cheese. The first one, which I have just tasted, is most certainly a very passable cheese indeed.
Paul takes you through each stage, with words of simpathy. It is almost as though he is there with you, step by step and stage by stage. He covers subjects like, the history, how to, what you need and what various ingredient do, and why?
The book also includes, a huge variety of cheeses. Cheeses to suit all palettes from the mildest, all the way through to, potentially, the strongest.
I cannot speak more highly of the book. Although, if I were to have any critisism, at all, then it would be that, there are no recommended suppliers or resources. But then, that is only nit-picking.
An excellent book, for all levels of ability.
on 17 July 2012
I bought this based on reviews of others and as a complete cheesemaking novice. There is enough information given to produce cheese and on that basis I think it is a good purchase. I have only made cheddar so far and although I had a few questions during the production process it would seem, from the end result, that the instructions given are adequate if you also apply common sense.
on 29 November 2012
only a third of the book was actual cheese making recipes, a third of the book were recipes using the cheese that you had made and the final third was all about cheese processes. I would have like more recipes for hard cheese and parmesan, which, although mentioned in a very small passage did not feature in the index at all. Having said all this the book is good value for £9.99
on 24 December 2010
We found the instructions in this book very clear, and easy to understand. The recipes are mouth watering and very tasty. This book is not only a very good read but, would help children understand all about cheese
on 16 May 2011
This is a really useful book for anyone interested in making cheese at home.

Packed full of easy to follow techniques and recipes.

Well put together and very informative.

Highly recommended.
on 16 August 2012
I've just bought this kindle book as I was happy to see that they had a help website to go with it. Just tried to find it and it doesn't exist! The recipes include ingredients such as: 1 standard size packet of mesophillic culture but there's no one to explain what standard size means when you have non-standard packets!!! Waste of money!
44 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 November 2016
This book is of value if you have attended a cheesemaking course first otherwise it will just baffle you. The major problem though is that it is missing all the common you really want to make at home e.g. Brie, camembert. The book defines them as soft cheeses but in the soft cheeses section it only deals with spreads such as Boursin or cottage cheese. Essentially that makes the book pretty pointless because, trust me, you really want to start with those cheeses which only takes weeks rather than years to mature
on 11 August 2011
I bought this book thinking it had a recipe for Camembert / Brie type cheese, but to my dismay, it doesn't although it does say on the back cover that it has a recipe for Brie. This is false advertising.
This isn't to say that the book is worthless, far from it. It does have quite a few usefull cheese recipes, including one for Roquefort (which alone would make it worth buying, as far as I am concerned, since I have milking ewes and LOVE blue cheese), along with enough sound pratical advice to justify its price tags.
But the subtitle "How to Make All Kinds of Cheeses in Your Own Home" is misleading, as there's no recipes for Brie type cheese.
I would have given it five stars, if it wasn't for the Camembert. Now Mr Paul Peacock, if you have a recipe for Brie, you should really send it on to me, I paid for it :)
33 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 December 2011
For anyone considering making their own cheese this book is essential. It contains great recipes and detailed instructions enabling enjoyable homemade cheese on the first attempt.
A must buy for the home cheese maker.