on 16 March 2017
Perfect! everything was as advertised and delivered on time. Thank you
on 18 February 2017
As described thanks :)
on 4 March 2009
I bought this as an enthusiastic amateur/semi-pro looking to get into fashion photography and this book is superb in delivering the information I need.

If you're looking for a comprehensive 'How-to' guide for producing glamour shots, you really should buy this book. I also bought The Fashion Photography Course: First Principles to Successful Shoot - the Essential Guide, which is just as good, but each cover things in a slightly different way, giving you a much better understanding.
on 16 March 2009
A really good book, with lots of insight into the life of a pro photographer, it's packed with useful information that could help you on the road to becoming a pro photographer. Images are great with plenty of tips on how to attain this level of image making.
on 16 February 2009
I like to recommend books to my photography students; however, recommendations must come from me, this means I own quite a few rubbish books.

So, I bought two book "Pro Digital Fashion Photography" (this book) and "The Fashion Photography Course".

To my surprise both these books are brilliant, I could not give a higher recommendation. If you are interested in Fashion Photography, then you need both these books.

Please click on the link below to view the other recommended book.
on 9 April 2009
Let's let Bruce Smith talk for himself from the first few pages...

"I believe that the most important thing when shooting fashion pictures is to ensure that you create positive energy between yourself and your model. This in turn feeds the content of your work. Fashion pictures must have content and energy. Without these qualities, you haven't got fashion pictures."

"My guess is that most people see so many images that they spend very little time really looking at them. Your job is to make people look twice."

"If your pictures make people stop what they're doing and take a good look at them, you will not only have made your client very happy, you will have achieved something special as a photographer."

"Creating great photographs isn't just about the size of your digital files - it's about the content of the pictures. It's about what you do with your equipment and if you haven't got content, your pictures will fail, whatever the resolution of the sensor in your camera."

Geeze, Louise, this bloke is talking so much sense that I want to have his babies.

Bruce really does go through the whole thing. The first few pages felt like it was ging to be a showcase of his images, but then when it got to the kit page, things started coming together. The book goes through all the bits and pieces and just shows how professional a professional has to be. Bruce has detailed all the rules and shown all the creases that need to be ironed out, as well as showing how to push the steam assist button on the iron.

Lighting, reflection, team work, location, backgrounds, team work, model selection, understanding the client, team work, visualising and colour, planning, team work, time management ... it's all in here. Oh, and don't forget the team work.

By the way, don't believe Bruce about USB transfer speed; I can transfer 1 gig off SD in about two minutes; it's all about choosing your equipment carefully. It the only thing in the entire book that I couldn't agree with. He's even included a standard model release form in the back of the book for you to start from!

If you're going to seriously get in to fashion photography then this book is, in my humble opinion, a vital piece of equipment in your armoury.
on 26 December 2009
A note from the Author

Firstly I would like to thank all of those that bought my book and even more so to those that made the effort to review my book on here as well as all of those who have expressed their thoughts and gratitude to me directly once they have read my book.

I have been shooting fashion for 35 years and teaching for over 10 years out of a desire to share my knowledge with those interested enough to read my book as well as by taking one or more of my fashion photography master classes.

I teach in the UK Europe and USA. If your interested in taking a class please visit my web site where you will find information about my fashion, portraiture, fine art nude and bridal/fashion classes.

Google search Bruce Smith fashion photographer.

Regards and thanks.

Bruce Smith
review image review image review image review image review image
on 3 June 2010
This is book is great for an amateur or someone just starting out on their own...for a professional already in the field, there is nothing new.

I hoped to get more on the business side of fashion photography- "trade" - the bit I'm actually struggling with. esp cracking the market - just lightly touches it.

For me it was more of a refresher of the techniques I had learnt while assisting - I do hope there is more on the business side of fashion photography in the future editions.

thx Bruce great book. I guess I was not the intended audience.

funny the American Edition has "Trade" mentioned in the title...not the UK one (which I have!) - Fashion Photography: A Complete Guide to the Tools and Techniques of the Trade
on 1 January 2009
This book is an excellent insight into the world of the fashion photographer. Bruce Smith has over thirty years experience in the fashion photography world and this book explains how to photograph fashion and how to move yourself up in the fashion world. The book explains lighting, working with models, photoshop, promoting yourself and much more. Would recommend this book to anyone also his hands on Masterclasses.
on 14 November 2008
This is a real treat for anyone that wants to learn about/or understand digital fashion photograhy.Its packed with useful information,recommended!!!